Monday, January 15, 2018

Training 1/15-1/21

1/15- Cheated again and must reset the count now to Day 1 now.  It was partially by design to confirm that sugar does reduce the tolerance to glycine.  Still not sure if that was it or the kidney supp that increased the demand.  I'll find out very soon but I am 80-90% sure it is sugar related.  Workout was not pretty.  I had the day off for the MLK holiday so I ran outside in the daylight in 40 degree temps.  Went with 1500 glycine, which would have been fine yesterday.  Today, I struggled through 3 miles in 26-flat (8:40 pace) but the splits were even.  Never felt good but kept it between 8:30-8:50 all the way.  Now, let's hope this does not cause an adrenal spike or PABA flare.

PM- Feeling better already.  Impromptu 3 miler at Gold's in 23:50 (7:57 pace) but closed in a solid 7:37.  Clearance of glycine or sugar?  I'm now 90% sure that if I abstain, up to 2000 glycine will be tolerated.  Perhaps more.  Tomorrow, I will be nearly 100% convinced.  I've also learned that glycine is involved in ATP production.  Fixing that issue could be YUGE!  Even when my legs go dead, I've always felt that I had more to give in terms of cardio and the low HR confirms that.  Glycine seems to increase my max HR and thus will increase my workout capacity.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=6.0

1/16- Day 2.  Got off work early due to the threat of snow and cold temps.  Gold's was still open so I got my 5 miles in plus a half mile cool.  Started on 1000 glycine and came through 3 miles struggling to keep the pace under the Mendoza line.  I was at 23:35 (7:52 pace) then popped 500 more hoping to find another gear.  This time, I did.  Next 2 miles were 14:44 (7:22 pace) with a strong finish.  Figure that a fresh 3 miler on 1500 would have been in the low 22s.  I'm betting that 2000 would have been better but I'll try that tomorrow.  One curious finding was the HR.  It was 153 in the 3 mile and 144 in the 2 mile despite the faster pace in the latter.  I am now nearly 100% sure that the sugar prevents glycine tolerance.  No adrenal spike today and I'm likely in the clear there.  A PABA flare could still happen.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5

1/17-Day 3.  2x2.5 miles at Gold's.  Started on 1500 glycine and came through in 18:20 (7:20 pace) then despite being less than fresh, I was able to turn it up a notch on 2000.  Improved to 17:36 (7:02 pace).  HR was 147 on 1500 then it jumped all the way to 169 on 2000.  Excellent news all around.  Maybe just maybe, if I avoid sugar I've got this thing beat.  Did not run on 2500 but I think my energy ticked up a tad again.  The best case scenario is that I continue to improve up to 3000 but anything beyond that is a non-factor as is the case with MF and ADHS.  This counts as a tempo.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance=5.0

1/18- Day 4.  I planned on resting today but got up early and decided to do a junk run.  2 miles in 15:46 (7:53 pace) plus a half mile cool.  No effort (HR 138) but a smooth even pace.  I am now nearly 100% sure that glycine is the key and there is a real chance that abstinence from sugar will allow tolerance to it and prevent the PABA dependence.  Not even going to allow hopes to rise until I hit 30 days with no relapse.  Staying on 2000 through Saturday then I will try 3000+.
Grade:Pass/0 credit/distance=2.5

1/19- Day 5. Late start this morning so it was another junk run with an experiment.  On 2000, I came through 1 Mile in a relaxed 7:18 but was significantly weakened on 3000.  That's okay.  I may need a few more days to tolerate higher doses but if 2000 is my ceiling, I still ought to do okay.  Treated Mile 2 as a cool down and did not even time it.  I've found that an occasional beer does not set me back.  Neither does lemonade or Gatorade.  Coke and Red Bull do.  A single cheat there will leave me unable to tolerate higher doses of glycine for several days and may cause a PABA flare.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=2.0

1/20- 3 miles in 28:30 (9:30 pace) with the 3rd mile over 11 minutes.  I spoke too soon about the Gatorade/Powerade.  I felt MUCH worse after drinking a bottle after the run.  Although I did not see on the label that it contains benzoates, indeed it does.  Online research confirmed this.  I must reset the count and stick to nothing but water for at least 21 days. Even then, a single cheat day per week is probably not a good idea.  A PABA flare is possible next week too.  This sucks.

PM- 1 Mile at Vestavia out of sheer boredom.  Finished in a better than expected time of 8:54 and might have a shot at the Mendoza line tomorrow.  Still EXTREMELY ANGRY!  It's come down to this:  21 days of drinking water only.  I will not tolerate any more relapses with the exception of a 1 day PABA flare.  Other than that, I am done.
Grade:F+/2 credit/distance=4.0

1/21-Day 1.  Lakeshore 4 miler on a nice afternoon.  Got about what I expected out there.  Finished in a time of 33:40 (8:25 pace).  1st half-16:36, 2nd half-17:04 so I faded but did not collapse.  Slightly better than my usual day after relapse performance but still above the Mendoza line.  Went with only 1000 glycine but that will be jacked back up to 2000 tomorrow.  HR-154, Cadence-176.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=4.0

Weekly summary:
The next 20 days will be make or break.  I cannot tolerate any more relapses.  If the water only plan fails, I am officially out of options and do not see a path to recovery going forward.
Distance= 29.0/ GPA= 2.13
YTD- 76 miles.  0-2 with a 1.84 GPA

No comments: