Monday, January 1, 2018

Training 1/1-1/7

1/1- New Year.  Same problems.  3 miles in 29:36 (9:52 pace).  Fortunately, I do NOT need PABA.  I am on Day 2 on the HARD MODE sugar withdrawal.  The 2nd day is always the hardest and I should be better tomorrow.  This will be a lifetime commitment and once I make it 21 days, it will come a lot easier.  I can get away with cheating once in while but the risk of a relapse is too much.  Sugar is addictive.  Also, I've learned that even with glycine, ADHS rather than Thym-Adren is the best form of adrenal support for me.  Thym-Adren is tolerated in small doses but mega doses present a problem.  It's back to the ADHS tomorrow.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=3.0

1/2- AM.  As expected, Day 3 is better.  3 miles in 26:16 (8:45 pace)  MINUS 67.  I may be back out this evening.  Will I continue to improve or collapse again next week?  Still off PABA.  We'll see what the Berberine or another dysbiosis product does soon.  SHMT will also be given another shot.  If I react badly to those, it's not the death knell.  The need for PABA is.

PM- 5 miles in 41:29 (8:18 pace) MINUS 27 over 2 extra miles.  I'll take it.  Took off at 8:00 pace and held it for 2 miles.  Slipped to the 8:30 range in Mile 3 but held it there.  The Mendoza line for 5 miles is 42 minutes so I beat that.  Not the best way to get 8 miles on the day but it's better to do 3/5 than 0/5.  The adrenals will calm down in another 3-4 days provided I stay off sugar.
Grade:C-/2 credit/distance=8.0

1/3- 5 miles in 39:43 (7:57 pace).  MINUS 21.  Progress is progress but I was hoping for better on Day 4.  Went out at 7:38 then averaged over 8:00 the rest of the way and was left feeling down after I finished.   HR was 153, which is the highest it has been in a while.  I'm worried that I am on the verge of a collapse.  Tried just a trace of Myers's product and it was a clear NO.  I haven't touched that stuff in 7 days so it seems unlikely that occasional use will be tolerated any time soon.  Did not try PABA.  The Berberine and Allithiamine should arrive any day now and the former may be my last hope to produce enough PABA to avoid use of the problem supp.  There is a similar product called Dysbiocide (sp?) that does the same job as Berberine.  Perhaps I am still adjusting to the sugar withdrawal and I may experience a temporary need for PABA.  I am committed to this for at least 21 days.  Mind is full now.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/4- Day 5.  Woke up feeling awful and just as I feared, I needed the PABA.  Took 200 just to get through the day at work then hit the gym for the dreaded interval workout.  3 laps.
200- 2:54- 8:42 pace
300- 2:35- 7:45 pace
400- 2:08- 6:24 pace
500- 1:50- 5:30 pace
700- 2:13- 6:39 pace
3 lap cool down
I know that 500 is the sweet spot now.  I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE SWEET SPOT WILL BE NEXT WEEK!!!    To clarify, what happened today is not the death knell, a moving target is.  How to prevent that from happening?  I have several options:
I know that NADH and Myers' Anti-Microbe are both NO.
1)Berberine or Dysbiocide to prevent the need for PABA
2) SHMT spray instead of glycine to prevent the need for PABA
If both options fail and PABA really is needed, I'm actually okay with it.  SO LONG AS THE DOSE IS CONSISTENT.
3) I could probably shut down the need for PABA by drinking Coke because of the benzoic acid content but it would have to be an every day thing and likely leave me with a very narrow window.  I don't like this idea because it's not good for me.  If I go off/on with it, that will almost certainly lead to fluctuations.  It is possible that the need for PABA is only a temporary flare up as part of the sugar detox.  I'm fine with that as well BUT IF I AM FORCED OFF, I BETTER NOT BE FORCED BACK ON WITHOUT EXPLANATION!  If that happens, I'm done.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=2.0

1/5- Day 6 was awful.  Unplanned rest day and I knew it before an attempt to run.  The culprit is PABA.  That's right, the same stuff that I could not function without yesterday, I now can barely function with it.  I'm not surprised that I was forced off.  I am surprised that it happened so quickly.  Do I need to quit it altogether or do I still need it at lowered doses?  I am now 1 step away from the death knell.  Unless by some miracle I can shut off the demand for PABA with other treatments, I am DONE if I am forced back on it without an explanation.

1/6- Day 7.  The usual performance for the day after a relapse.  3 miles in 25:27 (8:29 pace).  The Berberine and the Allithiamine both arrived yesterday.  Both appear to be non-factors but there is a slim chance that Berberine or Dysbiocide could shut off demand for PABA.  The best case scenario is that the need for PABA never flares up again!  Today, I was significantly WORSE after just a trace of stand alone PABA (less than 25 mg).  I can only hope against hope that this is the last time I have to deal with this.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=4.0

1/7- Day 8.  Braved the cold and wind to run 5 miles on Lakeshore around 8 AM in sub-freezing temperatures.  Finished in 39:41 (7:56 pace). MINUS 33.  Splits were very even but it was just about as fast as I could go out there.  HR was up to 155 and Cadence was 178.  The sugar abstinence should come easier now.  Yesterday was hard but I made it.  2nd day on a stable formula.    
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=5.0

Distance= 27.0/ GPA= 1.54
-I've reached a verdict on Calcium.  Even with the glycine, it leaves me slightly weaker so that bottle will be pitched.  Without the glycine, I could not run at all on that stuff.  That's exactly what I want to see happen when I take a pill that is not good for me.  A clear NO but not a disaster and it should not hurt too much tomorrow.

No comments: