Monday, January 8, 2018

Training 1/8-1/14

1/8- Day 9 off sugar and Day 3 on a stable formula.  Gold's 5 in 37:51 (7:34 pace).  MINUS 22 compared to yesterday.  I'll take it.  Legs went dead in Mile 3 after a good start.  1st half-18:40, 2nd half-19:11 though I did rebound a bit at the end to secure the sub-38.  Still a ways to go.  One bad week does not a year make.  Nearly half way to 21 days tomorrow, which is generally considered the time necessary to break a habit.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

1/9- Day 10.  I experimented and endured a rough day as a result.  It was a risk I was willing to take and I don't feel so bad about it.  Ran 3 laps without glycine or SHMT and finished in a pitiful 3:08 (9:24 pace).  Took several sprays of SHMT and improved to 2:59 (8:57 pace).  MINUS 27, which is significant but not nearly effective enough and I did not feel a radical change.  Popped the glycine next and got worse.  Slipped back to 3:20 (10:00 pace).  That's it for today and it counts as a rest day.
Grade:Freebie/0 credit/distance=1.0
Reaction:
SHMT performs the same function as glycine but it must be one or the other, not both.  Glycine is clearly the best choice despite Yasko's advice.  SHMT was pitched.  CBS/NOS is likely a NO as well but that will be confirmed at a later date.  Funny thing is that I felt better initially after taking it but within about an hour, it went downhill. Perhaps, I need to start with a few specks.  Why did I do this? I've long suspected kidney weakness and these products are designed to help with that.  Of course I want to get back to PR form but if it's not to be, I'm okay with it as long as I am CONSISTENTLY in the respectable zone.  Again, as long as I am off PABA, I still have a chance.

PM- Took the evening off as planned.  After doing some research, I have a strong feeling that my kidney function is not up to snuff and YES, that can and does affect ATP production.  I'll get that tested on Monday.  Conservative treatments include cutting out protein bars and staying off sugar.  Since SHMT and CBS/NOS have failed, I can take a kidney glandular or a NOS only nucleotide product.  Yes, I do have a double mutation on the key NOS gene.  As for the dysbiosis issue, I think that is under control.  I'll try Dysbiocide only if PABA flares up.

1/10- Day 11.  AM- 1 mile in 9:55 and it took a rally at the end to break 10.

PM- 2 miles at Vestavia on a mild evening in 17:38 (8:49 pace) MINUS 66.  A disaster was not unexpected after experimenting with SHMT and CBS/NOS.  Again, it was a risk that I was willing to take.  Same is true with the kidney glandular and the NOS only nucleotide but that's all.  No more experiments for a while.  I will do the kidney lab test tomorrow morning and should get the results by the middle of next week.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=3.0

1/11- The kidney supplement came today and it was a DISASTER.  Again, it was a risk that I was willing to take.  That leaves NOS as the only other option unless I need to start with a minute dosage, which may be possible.  I'll explain why I think I may have a kidney ailment in a later post.  It's not so bad that I need a transplant or dialysis but I may need medication.  I did the blood test this morning and if my numbers are normal, I won't even mess with the NOS.  As for the workout, it was 1 Mile at Vestavia's track in 9:52 and it took a 4th quarter rally to break 10.  I cheated on Day 12 but it won't hurt me as long as I bounce back tomorrow so I will not reset the count.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.0

1/12- Must not cheat again and I am confident that I will not.  I will write this week off as a loss and take a mulligan on the grading.  I allow one such week per 6 months.  One LAST option is an herbal kidney cleanse that is worth a shot.  Likely a rest day because I still feel awful but I may do a junk run this evening.  The lab result could come as early as this afternoon but I will likely have to wait until Tuesday. 

PM- Did NOT cheat and it will be easier from now on.  Workout was the usual for the day after a relapse.  3 miles in a robust 25:41 (8:34 pace) and it was as fast as I could go.
Distance=3.0

1/13- Day 14- Very interesting interval workout.
Started with Methyl folate w/1000 glycine (usual dose):
400- 2:37.0
800- 2:37.5
1200- 2:35.5
If I had taken zero, I would have been over 3 but there is no significant benefit to a dose higher than 400 so that's what I will take.  Too high of a dose may reduce ceruloplasmin.
Next things got more interesting with glycine:
1500- 2:25 (7:15 pace) MINUS 30
2000- 2:13 (6:39 pace) MINUS 36
2500- 2:20 (7:00 pace) PLUS 21
Reaction:
Not sure what to make of this.  In the past, I was noticeably weaker if I went higher than 1250 but now, I felt best at 2000.  The increased tolerance is due to either an increased need from the kidney supp, which still hasn't fully cleared or due to the sugar restrictions.  Perhaps in time, I will benefit from doses higher than 2000.  One VERY important discovery: Though not confirmed yet, my problems with Liver Beef were likely due to an interference with glycine conjugation rather than the Iron content. If I was to take Liver again, I'd probably still have a bad reaction but it would be partially mitigated by extra glycine IF I remain off sugared drinks.
Distance= 2.0

1/14- Totaled 5 miles in 37:31 but it was split up with 3 miles on 1000 glycine then 2 miles on 2000.  Came through 3 miles in a solid 22:15 (7:25 pace) with a slight negative split.  Popped another 1000 glycine hoping to find another gear.  Instead, I got slightly worse but it was no disaster.  Next 2 miles were 15:16 (7:38 pace) with an even split.  Interesting finding was though I had less overall energy, my HR increased from 150 to 163.  That tells me that extra glycine could be a benefit in the future but can I tolerate it?  Best chance is to stay off sugar.
Distance=5.0

-20 miles on the week.  47 on the year.  No grading.

No comments: