Friday, November 9, 2018

DIM Product Review


DIM stands for Diindomethane.  My bottle contains 100 mg plus a small amount of Vitamin E succinate and a green blend of spinach, broccoli and cabbage.  I was first told about it 2 years ago as a suggestion to combat sulfur sensitivity.  On the label, it says that it promotes “healthy estrogen metabolism.”  Naturally, as a man, I was frightened by this so opted not to try it.  However, after additional research plus desperation and despair about my continued decline in health, I was willing to give it a try.  It turns out that it also aids in the production of detox enzymes.  The lack thereof may be responsible for the sensitivity.  Also, proper estrogen metabolism can actually RAISE free testosterone by preventing a blockage to its production.  Still, when I re-order, I will get a formulation specifically for men.

My testosterone tested normal back in 2010 but given my history of adrenal disease, it would not surprise me to learn that it has since dropped off.  As recently as early 2015 (age 34), I was still capable of threatening my personal records despite spotty training.  I cratered shortly thereafter and blamed the methylation problems as well as bad genetics.  Well, I believe the methylation is under control now and still no improvement.  In fact, after doing a little better last year, I’ve regressed further in 2018.  There must be something deeper going on here.

Results:
I got a bit of a negative reaction and slight flushing the first 2 days but it felt more like detox and that appears to be correct.  Since then, I have seen improvements though at the moment, my running has stabilized but there have not been dramatic improvements yet.  I am hopeful that will come gradually with steady training.

Specifics:
Sarcosine for glycine conjugation is the one product that I cannot do without and it still is.  Early signs showed that Sarcosine might solve the sensitivity issues and though it helps in some areas such as tolerance for Liver, it is not the miracle cure that I hoped for.  Just one skipped dose reminded me that it is still very necessary as I woke up feeling awful without it.

Beef Liver:
Again, I will probably end up rotating this with synthetic B12 to keep my zinc/copper ratio in line but as of now, Liver is my preferred source of B12.  Before the DIM, I could not tolerate more than 1 pill per day.  Otherwise, my whole body tightened up and I got the usual fatigue, depression and VERY poor athletic performance.  Now, I can take 2-3 and probably more yet feel the same.  My performance will not be significantly different versus just 1 of those pills.   As with the Sarcosine, I still need at least 1 every day or else but the flexible dosage is a BIG victory.

Taurine and Molybdenum:
Before starting DIM, my need and tolerance for molybdenum varied from day to day and I eventually discovered that the fluctuation was based on my consumption of protein.  After cutting out protein bars, not only did I not need the molybdenum, I could not tolerate it.  Also, without the molybdenum, Taurine was no longer tolerated probably due to the CBS mutation.  Now, my need for moly will only kick in if I eat too much protein.  Without protein bars, it is not needed but if I do happen to take it, it seems to be a non-factor.  Taurine is tolerated once again even without the moly and may actually be slightly beneficial.  Very good news all around.

Methylation:
Before DIM, I needed a specific type of Methyl folate (5-MTHF) and had to take it with Sam-e at a specific ratio (1400 MF/200 Sam-e) or else I’d be AWFUL.  I could also take DMG but needed nucleotide support from Yasko (BHMT-08) for that to work.  Methylation support is still necessary but once again, the dose is now flexible.  I once took 200 Sam-e and only 400 MF then popped an extra Sam-e during a run.  I was actually slightly BETTER after the extra Sam-e.  Again, very good news.  I have not tried extra DMG yet nor going without the nucleotide support.

Sugared Drinks:
I am best sticking to water only but that can be difficult to do.  I’ve always been able to handle one cheat day per week but any more than that was asking for trouble.  A caffeine binge or 3 consecutive days of cheating spelled doom and I’d often feel worse 48 hours after stopping due to withdrawal symptoms.  Non-caffeinated drinks (Sprite) and even non-carbonated ones (Powerade) would also trigger reactions.  Now, I am still best served by sticking to water but the ill-effects of cheating are not nearly as severe nor are the withdrawal symptoms.   Again good news.

Given my history, it is WAY too soon to celebrate anything.  If I can avoid a relapse for the rest of 2018, then MAYBE I have a chance of beating this.

No comments: