Monday, November 12, 2018

Training 11/12-11/18

11/12- Birmingham weather often takes a turn for the worse after Veteran's Day.  We typically get 3 days per month in the winter in which it rains all day.  Today is one of those days.  I went to Gold's Gym for some test intervals.  The pain in the ass diminished considerably after 24 hours off the DIM but I still felt pretty rotten when I woke up.  Not a surprise because I took several questionable pills yesterday in hopes of improving the detox symptoms.

At any rate, I came through the 1st mile in 8:50 with a steady pace with no DIM.  That was a BIG improvement over yesterday.  Took just a trace of DIM (1/4 pill) and improved to 8:28 (MINUS 22).  Very good news that at least some was tolerated but my pace slipped on the back half.  Took another quarter of a pill and as I fully expected, it was MUCH WORSE.  Treated Mile 3 as a cool down and don't think I could have broken 10 minutes.
Distance=3.0
Reaction:
Split decision.  I'll bet money that DIM will solve the sensitivity once and for all but if I can't tolerate it, that's the ultimate in cruelty.  What happens next?  If I only take a trace, it won't be as effective and the dietary restrictions and exact cocktail of pills rule must remain in effect.  However, there is a chance that I can rebuild my tolerance and be able to take a full pill again.  There is also a chance that it will evolve into complete intolerance and leave me right back where I started from.  Time will tell.

Research this afternoon:
I have 4 options if I cannot tolerate DIM at all.
1) Hope the male specific formula is better tolerated.
2) Add glutathione back into my formula (NON-FACTOR)
3) Take a cruciferous supplement without DIM
4) Take DIM's precursor (I3C)

11/13- COMPLETE INTOLERANCE TO DIM!!  I took just a trace this morning and the result was the same as the half pill yesterday.  Could barely run at all.  Attempted a junk run but quit within a couple minutes.  The verdict on glutathione is in and it is a non-factor.  This is further evidence that DIM will solve the sensitivity once and for all because it wasn't tolerated before.  Unfortunately, the ill-effects of taking DIM are MUCH WORSE than the previous sensitivity so I'll have to stop taking it.

The male specific formula should arrive by the end of the week.  When it does, I will try to take it VERY gradually.  Options #3 and 4 are still viable.  If this plan fails, I can virtually guarantee that the sensitivity will kick back in with a VENGEANCE!  Some days will be better than others but the overall trend will be degenerative.  It's looking bleak.
Distance=0.5

Update:
If learned caffeine interferes with estrogen and testosterone metabolism.  I loosened the restrictions because it seemed to be better tolerated on the DIM.  Not so fast.  Perhaps THIS is the culprit.  Then again, I abstained from Wednesday-Saturday of last week and got worse.  My entire life depends on being able to take DIM or a substitute.  That's no exaggeration either.

11/14- AM- Gold's 1.5 in 14:48 (9:52 pace) with a slight negative split (7:27-7:21).  That's horrible but it was an improvement over yesterday.

PM- Another Gold's run instead of 40 and rainy outside.  2 miles in 17:52 (8:56 pace).  Again, I managed a slight negative split (9:00-8:52).  Clearly improving.  I'm not touching DIM again until Saturday.  The sensitivity has already kicked back in.
Distance=3.5

11/15- Strong negative response to Sam-e last night.  Just 2 days off the DIM and the sensitivity has kicked in BIGLY just as I predicted.  I tried just a trace of DIM in the morning and MUCH TO MY RELIEF, I DID NOT COLLAPSE!!  In fact, I actually felt a little better.  Now, if I had taken a full pill or binged on caffeine, I can just about guarantee another relapse.  The amount that I did take wasn't nearly enough to be fully effective but it was an improvement over yesterday.  3 miles at Gold's in 25:49 (8:36 pace).  MINUS 20 over an extra mile.  The plan is to GRADUALLY increase the DIM dosage and hope that the tolerance increases with time.
Distance=3.0

11/16- The male specific DIM arrived yesterday and it appears to be a winner.  No, it's not a night and day difference.  I was still afraid to try more than a trace.  What I did was open the capsule and took the small amount left on the bottom.  My mood was noticeably better.  Same 3 miler at Gold's and my time was down to 25:09 (8:23 pace).  MINUS 13 is relatively modest but I was much better in holding the pace on the back half.  Yesterday, I managed only a 13:22 on the back half.  Today, it was 12:47.  I will continue to up the dosage GRADUALLY and hopefully, the tolerance will improve especially if the caffeine is cut out.
Distance=3.0

11/17- Against my better judgment, I took a full DIM pill today and the male specific formula is stronger (150 mg) so that's the equivalent of 1.5 pills of the old stuff.  As expected, I took a step backwards but it wasn't nearly as bad as it was last weekend.
AM- 1 mile at Vestavia in 9:24
PM- Repeated it in 8:44.  Hopes remain alive.
Distance=2.0

11/18- AM- Took 2 Liver and a Sam-e, which was never tolerated before the DIM.  Repeated the Vestavia Mile and my time was down to 7:34 (MINUS 70) in spite of drinking caffeine yesterday as a test.  Perhaps the tolerance to DIM is finally kicking it or perhaps I can only take the male specific formula, which contains maca instead of Vitamin E.  I'll be back out this afternoon.

PM- Vestavia 4 miler with no watch.  Overall, I was pleased with how I felt.  Feeling more stimulated and it seems like I have a higher HR but that could be good.  There is a chance that the adrenals could spike temporarily after solving a MAJOR problem.
Distance=5.0

-20 miles on the week.


No comments: