Thursday, December 6, 2018

Pacific Northwest Road Trip Plan

I'm scheduled for phone duty the week of the South Dakota race next year.  I could possibly swap with a co-worker but I think this is a better fit anyway.  There is a State holiday in early June so that's one less day off work that I will have to take.  Here is the preliminary plan:

6/3- Fly out of Birmingham to Seattle.  I gain 2 hours so I expect to get in at a decent hour.  Again, the rental car cost will be rough but it's necessary.  From Seattle, it's roughly 3 hours to Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.  I'll stay downtown and enjoy a night out.

6/4- Must sees in the Vancouver area are Top of Vancouver, Stanley Park and Grouse Mountain.  From there, I will head up 1.5 hours north on the Sea to Sky highway along the coast to Whistler.  There are some amazing views along the way.  I'm not sure how far back south I'll go but I do want to get back to America that night.

6/5- I'll skirt past Seattle and take what I am sure will be a very scenic drive down the Washington coast across the border to Oregon.  The destination is Cannon Beach, which is a beautiful spot on the Oregon coast.  Driving time will be no more than 5.5 hours.  Maybe less if I go further south the previous day.

6/6- From Cannon Beach, I will head southeast towards Portland but probably skip that.  Instead, I will opt for Multnomah Falls and Mount Hood.  Most likely, I will stay in Hood River just across the border from Washington.  Drive time is about 3 hours.

6/7- Drive up to Rainier National Park and do some touring around Packwood then head to Seattle for the night.

6/8- Full day to tour Seattle and pick up the race packet.  The Space Needle is a must see.  I'll consider a Mariners game if they are in town.   I'm a fan of '90s alternative music so I hope there is some sort of museum for that.

6/9- Race day then fly back.  Getting back will be dicey.  I may have to wait another day.  I lose 2 hours and must take an afternoon flight after the race.  My choices may be to wait until the next day or take an overnight layover probably in Denver.  If I can get a Frontier flight from there, it may actually end up cheaper.

Cannon Beach

Mt. Rainier

Sea to Sky BC

No comments: