Monday, December 17, 2018

Training 12/17-12/23

12/17- Lakeshore 5 in 43:35 (8:43 pace).  Again, not a relapse but I've clearly lost a step over the past 5 days.  Still not sure what to make of it.  I could be simply adjusting to more consistent training or I need a small adjustment to the formula.  If it is the latter, the Liver will be replaced with synthetic B-12.  It was the plan all along to alternate the two.  Added a half mile cool.
Distance=5.5

12/18-AM Confirmed that Liver is the culprit.  2x800 at Gold's at standard training effort.
2 Liver- 3:57.9 (7:55 pace)
3 Liver- 4:05.4 (8:10 pace).  PLUS 15
Not a huge difference but I could definitely feel it.  As has been the case recently, I did get nicked a bit from a taking a pill that is not good for me but the ill-effects were NOT severe.  I may be losing maybe 1/2 of 1 percent of my energy every day that I am on the Liver.  That is why it is so important to run regularly.  I realized what was happening within 5 days.  If I was sedentary, it may have taken a month to make the connection and it would take longer to come back.

PM- Easy 3.5 on Lakeshore.  Did not push or even time it because I know it would not be pretty on the extra Liver.  Felt quite comfortable and could have easily gone another 3.5 but I'm sure that pace was slow.  Possibly approaching 9.  Tomorrow, I will test it again to see if I need to quit the Liver or simply go down to 1 pill.  I believe it will be the former.  Also, I am betting that the need for Thym-Adren will diminish before too long.
Distance=4.5

12/19-AM As expected, the Liver will be cut out entirely.  2x400 at Vestavia and I was 6 seconds slower on the Liver.  Times were very slow and I have a strong feeling that the Thym-Adren will need to be cut as well so I am facing a double whammy.  I still hope to get the distance in even at pathetically slow paces.

PM- 2.5 mile junk run at Gold's.  Started off decently well but it was downhill after the first half mile.  Pace was approaching 9.  No panic yet because I expected this to happen.  I did not expect to cut both the Liver and Thym-Adren at the same time.  Tomorrow, I will see if I still need Thym-Adren at all.
Distance=3.0

12/20- AM- Got exactly what I expected.  2x400 to determine if I am better with or without Thym-Adren.
Without- 1:53
With- 1:58 (PLUS 20/mile).

PM- Easy 3 at Gold's in 24:16 (8:05 pace).  Fine with this one.  Still weakened by the Thym-Adren but I was a LOT better than yesterday.  Even pace and never struggled or attempted to pick up the pace.  I'm sure I could have been under the Mendoza line if I had put some effort into it.  Added a half mile cool so I am in good shape to hit 30+ miles on the week.
Distance=4.0
Reaction:
This is what should happen when I take a SINGLE dose of a bad pill.  I'll get nicked a little bit but it won't kill me.  In the past, I've gone from a 9:xx pace to a 6:xx pace and vice versa because of a single dose.  Thanks to DIM, those days should be over.    However, if 4 of those are taken for any significant duration, the ill-effects will be significant, which is a reasonable expectation.  Add 3 more of those pills to my evening run and once again, the pace would have been approaching 9.  Throw in the Liver on top of that and it gets worse from there.

Going forward, I SHOULD be done with the Thym-Adren forever unless there is another MAJOR problem that must be solved.  I will continue to alternate Liver with synthetic B-12.  Doing so should prevent the zinc/copper ratio from getting too far out of whack in either direction.  Yes, I will continue with blood donations at least twice per year to protect against Iron Overload.

Mini-Rant:
If you've been on a specific health protocol for 2 years and still have unresolved problems, you've got to do something different.  They call me crazy and maybe I am but the true definition of insanity is to keep doing the same thing while expecting different results.

12/21- 3 miles under a time crunch.  Improved to a 23:12 (7:44 pace) but I was struggling at the end.  Splits were 7:36-7:43-7:53 and it took a late rally to get the 3rd mile under 8.  That's still a full minute better than yesterday so I am not complaining.
Distance=3.0

12/22- Planned on an easy 10 but had to settle for 3 in 27:35 (9:12 pace).   I was out at about the same pace as last week but completely died in the 3rd mile.  Looks like a relapse on the surface but I simply forgot to take the DMG pill.  Not pleased about this missing just one pill made this much difference.  The methyl folate and either SAM-e or DMG must be taken together.  It's both or neither.  If I skip both, I'd actually do okay even on the DIM.  I did feel a lot better after taking the DMG but did not have time to go back out there because it was a travel day.
Distance=3.0

-23 miles on the week

No comments: