Friday, August 23, 2019

Training 8/22-9/1

8/22- AM. Opener in 3:00.9 (9:02 pace).  Closer in 2:40.9 (8:02 pace).  Gap is down to 60 on 10 sprays.

PM- 3 miles in 27:30 (9:10 pace).  Still clearing out the tyrosine+C.  No panic.
Distance=4.0

8/23- AM- Opener in 2:37 (7:51 pace).  Closer in 2:14 (6:42 pace).  Gap actually increased to 69.  Not sure what to make of that but it's not a significant difference from 60.

PM- 2 miles in 17:29 (8:45 pace) plus a short warm and cool.  Doesn't look good on the surface but it was done in spite of not taking the afternoon dose of TRS.  I probably would have beaten yesterday's time without it.  However, I am prepared for the possibility that despite doing everything right, I'll still be running mediocre times with very poor energy levels.  If that's the case, I will get the dental implant removed.  Worst case, I see a conventional doctor but I refuse to take anti-depressants or talk to a quack psychologist.
Distance=3.0

8/24- Another failure.  STUPID on my part.  I crossed the line with the sulfur.  Walk jogged a mile then came back roaring in the evening with a lap at Montreat in 4:09 (12:27 pace).
Distance=1.0

8/25-AM- Opener in 3:51 (11:33 pace).  Closer in 3:35 (10:45 pace).  The gap is down to 48.  It is becoming increasingly clear that the TRS will not be enough.  Replacing the dental implant, I'm afraid is my best hope.

PM- 3 miles at Montreat in 28:30 (9:30 pace) with pretty even or slightly negative splits.  For Day 1, this wasn't too bad.
Distance=4.0

8/26- Split decision today.
AM- Opener- 2:55 (8:45 pace).  5 sprays- 2:47 (8:21 pace).  10 sprays- 2:45 (8:15 pace).
The gap is down to 30 and I am cutting it to 5 sprays.

PM- 3 miles in 26:56 (8:59 pace).  Heart was not into it but still improved by 31/mile on Day 2.   I'll take it.  The TRS gap may be almost completely gone soon so if I cannot improve in the next month or so, another option must be pursued.  I contacted the denty about the new material for the implant and have yet to receive a response.
Distance=4.0

8/27- AM.  Opener in 2:39.8 (7:59 pace).  Closer in 2:32.2 (7:36 pace).  Gap has been whittled down to just 23 seconds, which actually less than 5%.  As of today, I am no longer getting significant gains on a daily basis from TRS.    Yes, I was flat out on the closer too.  All I can do is be diligent in avoiding sulfur and hope for consistent improvements though I'll bet that I plateau around 22:30 for 3 miles.

PM- Expected to be in the 25s  today and that's what I got.  Finished the usual 3 miler in 25:14 (8:25 pace).  MINUS 34 compared to yesterday.  I may have a shot at the Mendoza line tomorrow.  Eventually, I will level off but when?  My "bare ass" minimum standard for 3 miles is to be consistently under 21 minutes.  That means on my best day, I should around 20:15, or around 21-flat for 5K.  If I can't do that in spite of steady training, I've got to pursue another solution.  I was very nearly there in 2017 but there was no consistency. 

As for the TRS, it will soon become just like all my other pills.  One day off will be barely noticeable if at all.  Even 2 days off will be "probably okay" but any more than that is asking for trouble.  I am sulfur-free for the 3rd straight day and am confident that I will never use it again.  I have cheated on caffeine but I can get away with the occasional Coke.
Distance=4.0

8/28- AM- NO WORKOUT.  I'm done with these tests until further notice.  TRS gap will continue to shrink.  I am down to 5 sprays in the morning and 5 in the afternoon.

PM- Montreat 3 in 24:50 (8:17 pace).  Had to settle for a modest improvement this time.  I sure hope that I am not already near the plateau.  Granted, the Montreat loop is rolling so it probably translates to about 24:20 at Gold's.  Weather was in the mid-80s and dry so that wasn't much of a factor.  An occasional Coke won't hurt me.  A daily habit?  I won't collapse because of it but it will almost certainly slow me down.  Keep that to a minimum if at all.
Distance=3.0

8/28- Settled for another modest improvement.  3 miles this time on Lakeshore in 24:29 (8:10 pace).  My numbers are moving in the right direction so it could be worse but I expected better than this.  The plateau could come in the 23s instead of the 22s.  Way short of the bare ass minimum standard.
Distance-3.0

8/29- Well, I did relapse today but it's a relapse that I can understand and accept.  My adrenals have spiked, which is a common occurrence after solving a MAJOR issue as was the case with the TRS detox.  Funny thing is that when I first took off, I felt the best I have in a while.  I was doing an easy 7:40 pace for the first quarter mile.  It was downhill from there however.  I was still under 4 at the half mile but could tell that I was losing it.  Turned around and managed only a 4:45 on the back half.

Got home and felt much worse.  It took 3:27 to run a loop at Montreat BUT improved to 3:03 after I popped just 2 Thym-Adren pills.
Distance=2.0

8/30- Planned rest day.

8/31- Opener in 3:17 (9:51 pace).  BTC 3 miler in 29:51 (9:57 pace) after 6 Thym-Adren pills and it took a rally in the last half mile to get under 30.  This was a very hilly route so it's probably the equivalent of a 29-flat at Gold's.  Got home and about an hour later, I surprised myself with a 2:30 closer (7:30 pace).  MINUS 2:21.  I know the drill now.  The adrenals will calm down and I won't need the Thym-Adren much longer.  Both the floor and ceiling will improve but the floor will improve faster, resulting in less of a gap.  I'm afraid that I will plateau in the 23s and further intervention will be required.  I'm going back and forth on replacing the dental implant.
Distance=4.0   

9/1- AM.  Nothing surprises me anymore.  I flipped from over-stimulation to lethargic literally overnight.  Thym-Adren made things MUCH worse.  This wasn't unexpected but I never thought it would happen so quickly.  In any event, I knew I was bad before I started.  Did only 1 mile on Lakeshore in a time approaching 12.

PM- Got some clearance but managed only a 9:34 this time on my home turf at Montreat.  I'm betting that the Thym-Adren is now out.  I'll go back to the modulator.  I thought about a thyroid test but am 90% confident that it will come back not just lab normal but solidly within the normal range.  Another adrenal spike and/or a spike in the need for TRS is likely if I get the implant out but a few rough days or even a few rough weeks is a price that I am willing to pay because it means improvement is on the way.
Distance=2.0

-34 miles

No comments: