Monday, February 24, 2020

Training 2/24-3/1

2/24- Gold's 3 in 26:12 (8:44 pace).  I did this after no caffeine for 24 hours.  Of course, I was sluggish but this is NOT a collapse.  Held the pace well and managed a slight pick up at the end.  NASTY GI issues however.  Before the probiotics, there is NO WAY that I could handle 7 days of heavy caffeine use and I would have been totally worthless (1 mile @ 12+ pace) on the first day off it.  I'll bet that I am at least 3 minutes faster if I downed a can of Rockstar but that is NOT the long-term solution.  I might struggle again tomorrow but expect to be better going forward.  If I am still hurting on Thursday or Friday, there is another missing piece, possibly NADH.
Distance=3.0

2/25- Now 48 hours off caffeine.  Repeated the 3 miles this time on Lakeshore and got to see a real nice sunset.  Fared only marginally better than yesterday.  Finished in 26:04 (8:41 pace).  I was free of GI issues and had a little more left than yesterday so that's a plus.  Still awfully sluggish and if I am not appreciably better by Thursday morning, I'm going back to the caffeine.  There has GOT to be a better solution than downing a can of Rockstar every day, which was poison before the probiotics.
Distance=3.0

2/26- Gold's 3 plus a half mile cool.  Woke up feeling no better after 60+ hours without caffeine so I cheated today, 1 day sooner than planned.  Improved significantly but was hoping for better.  Finished in 23:52 (7:57 pace).  I went out at sub-23 pace and barely held the sub-24 Mendoza line.  1st half- 11:36, 2nd half- 12:16.  Too much caffeine can make the body feel tight and worse yet, it can give you diarrhea.  A can of Rockstar (160 mg) would have been a better choice than Bang (300 mg) despite the higher sugar content in the former.  Again, there has got to be a better solution than this.  I believe the NDUFS mutation is in play here and yes, NADH is the solution.  I've already ordered it.
Distance=3.5

2/27- Reduced my caffeine today and felt better overall.  Lakeshore 5 in 41:49 (8:22 pace).  Dialed back the effort a bit and felt comfortable all the way.  Held the pace a lot better too and felt like I could have held it much longer.  1st half- 20:47, 2nd half- 21:02.  Still had GI issues though.  I have a good feeling about the NADH but there could be an adjustment period. Added a cool.
Distance=5.5

2/28- 2 mile junk run on Lakeshore.  Felt okay.  Not great but okay.  Didn't even time it.  Just wanted to pad the mileage to make it easier to hit 30.
Distance=2.0

2/29- Leap Day.  Group run though my part was only 2.5 with the group before I took off on my own.  Totaled 11 miles in a time of 96:52 (8:48 pace).  That is MUCH better than last week's effort (10@9:33) and this time, I had plenty left in the tank.  Last mile was a solid 8:11.  A pair of 9s to finish would bring me home in 1:55 and change in a half mary.  That would be my fastest time in 2 years.
Distance=11.0

3/1- 2 mile junk run just to hit the quota.  The NADH did come yesterday and it seemed okay at first.  Today sucked however.  I know what to expect in the adjustment period.  Soon, I won't be able to get along without it but I should stabilize by the end of the week.
Distance-2.0

30 miles on the week.

No comments: