Sunday, July 16, 2023

Thrillist Most Beautiful State Rankings

 Thrillist published a ranking of all 50 states based solely on natural beauty.  I found it interesting and for the most part, I agreed with the rankings.  Even with my extensive travels, I still don't feel qualified to do a ranking myself as there are about 15 states that I cannot say that I have thoroughly explored.   For example, although I have been to Kansas twice, I have not ventured beyond the eastern third of the state.  The same holds true for others so I can't knock it if I've only seen a state park and just one or two mid-sized towns.    I certainly do know enough to comment on this list however so here is the link:  You may have to copy and paste the URL but it should work.  I'm not going to comment on every ranking but I will highlight a few that I thought were overrated or underrated.

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/most-beautiful-states-in-america

Bottom Tier:

Iowa was ranked last.  I have been there twice and was not surprised by the rank.  However, it's a state that I can't really knock because I haven't explored it extensively.  I saw a couple of small- mid-sized towns on the race trip and stopped at a state park near the border of Minnesota on another trip.  That qualifies under the strict standard but there are plenty of other attractions that could change my rank.

Kansas was 49th.  Maybe I have some bias because I was just there recently but it was better than I expected in terms of natural beauty and I've heard that Gypsum Hills in the west are nice as well.  It's probably in the bottom 10 but IMO, it should be a few spots higher.  I'd put it slightly ahead of Nebraska, which was #43.  

Illinois at 48 is probably the one that I would rank last especially if the skyscrapers on Lake Michigan are not considered "natural beauty."   That said, there are plenty of hidden gems off the beaten path that could change it.

Indiana at 47 is slightly underrated.  Nice rolling terrain in the south and Indiana Dunes NP in the north, which has views of the Chicago skyline in the distance.  

Mississippi at 45 is also bit underrated.  It's got nice rolling hills throughout the state except for the Gulf Coast, which is a long stretch of white sandy beaches.  You have to take a cruise to get to a clear water beach with any surf but it does exist.  For the sake of comparison, I'd put it ahead of Louisiana but behind Alabama.  

North Dakota at 42- Ask me again after I visit the western half of the state, specifically Theodore Roosevelt NP.  I will say that the area west of Fargo was the most boring stretch that I have ever driven and it would be last if it was just based on that.  

Missouri at 41- Underrated.  Ozarks in the south are very nice.  I do recall that as soon as I crossed the river from Illinois, the terrain became a lot more scenic.

Connecticut at 40- Overrated.  Small state that I really haven't explored too much but was not overly impressed.  The lack of surf on the beaches is a strike against it.  Rhode Island at 34?  Probably about right.

Delaware at 39- Overrated.  Mostly flat and non-descript.  Beaches are not half bad but neighboring coasts of Maryland and New Jersey are better IMO.  I'll do my best not to biased because of politics.  

Third Quartile-

New Jersey at 37-  Probably about right.  Maybe a hair underrated.  Though mostly flat and non-descript, it does have a very nice coast.  Try some lesser known beaches besides Wildwood and Atlantic City and you will be pleasantly surprised.  The far northwest has some pretty nice hills that could pass for West Virginia in terms of scenery but again, that's only a small portion near the Poconos.  

Alabama at 36- Underrated.  I'm sure you are not surprised by that comment.  Beautiful beaches on the Gulf, surprising mountains in the East Central and lots of hidden gems in the north.  Yes, I admit that I am biased because it's my home.  Where would I rank it?  Not in the top 10 but probably the top 20.  

Pennsylvania at 35- About right.  Lake Erie isn't half bad but nobody will confuse it with Florida or the Carolina coast.  It's got some nice Appalachian scenery in the south but neighboring states are better.  I hear that the Poconos area is nice but I've never been there.  

Georgia at 33- A hair underrated.  Beaches are not nearly as nice as Florida or even South Carolina but it's got some surprising mountain scenery in the north and Savannah is a beautiful city.  

New Hampshire at 32 and Vermont at 13- Maybe I'm biased here but Vermont is way overrated and ought to be ranked in the 30s with New Hampshire in the mid-high 20s.  Mountains and foliage are just as nice in New Hampshire and it has an ocean coastline while Vermont does not.  

South Carolina at 30- Underrated.  Beautiful coast and nice mountain scenery in the northwest.  I used to live here so yes, I am biased.  I would not put it in the top 10 but I would put it in the top 20.

Maryland at 29 and Massachusetts at 28- About right.  Both are similar in that you can find both beaches and mountains there.  While you won't be blown away by either coast or mountain range, you'll find the scenery to be nice.

Second Quartile-

Virginia at 25- Slightly underrated.  Competition is getting tougher in the top half but this state has it all with beaches, mountains and foliage.  

Wisconsin at 23- Overrated.  Yes, Door County is amazing but much of the state is gently rolling terrain and relatively non-descript.  

Texas at 22- Slightly overrated- I like Texas but don't think it should be ranked this high.  Beaches are better than Louisiana but pale in comparison to Florida and Alabama.  Some nice mountain scenery in the southwest.  Again, competition is stiff by this point.  If Texas was ranked in the mid-30s, I'd call it underrated.

South Dakota at 21- Not qualified to comment.  Many will be surprised to see this state ranked so high but if you've been to the Badlands NP and Mt. Rushmore, you'd agree.  However, that's only a small portion of the state.  I've never been to the eastern portion but I'd imagine that it's not nearly as beautiful.  

West Virginia at 19 and Tennessee at 20- About right.  Some of the nicest mountain scenery in the East but again, competition is getting fierce.  Both would have a case for being in the top 10 if they had an ocean coastline.  

Florida at 18- Slightly underrated.  This is a tough call.  Since I'm a big beach guy, I've got to rank Florida high.  However, I also like mountains and Florida doesn't have it.  As far as inland scenery, for the most part, I did not find it boring with the ubiquitous palm trees and Spanish moss.  The only part that was a little rough was the inland area between Tampa and Miami.  Not much to see there.

New York at 17- I was going to call this one overrated but I'm probably not qualified to do so.  I was surprised to see this one ranked so high.  I've been to Albany, Cooperstown and Buffalo in addition to NYC and was not overly impressed but there is so much more that I have not seen as I have NOT thoroughly explored Upstate New York.  Pennsylvania was ranked 35.  Is New York really THAT much better?  I doubt it but I could be wrong.  Edit: I imagine Niagara Falls brings up the ranking.  I was there as a child but not as an adult.

Top Quartile:

Really into the cream of the crop now.  You could make a case for almost all of these to be in the top 5 so I won't comment much.

North Carolina at 12- I think this one belongs in the top 10.  Best mountain scenery in the East and probably the 2nd best coastal scenery after Florida.  

Michigan at 8- Overrated.  I've only been to Detroit and the UP.  Don't get me wrong.  It's got some beautiful areas but #8 is just too high.  I'd put it outside the top 10 but probably inside the top 20.  

Washington at 6 and Oregon at 7- Oregon is about right but I'd put it ahead of Washington because the coast is MUCH more beautiful all around.  That said, Rainier has the slight edge over Hood and I've not yet seen North Cascades or Olympic NP so I could change my mind.

Utah at 4 and Colorado at 5-  Both are about right and I agree with Utah being ranked ahead of Colorado.  Though Colorado has the better mountain scenery, there is not a dull moment driving through any part of Utah.  The eastern third of Colorado is basically an extension of western Kansas and Nebraska and the mountains don't come into view until Denver.  

California at 1- Its politics are a mess but in terms of natural beauty, I really cannot argue against this ranking even though you can make a case for Hawaii and Alaska (#2 and 3)  It's got it all.  Surfing, skiing, deserts, redwoods, national parks, you name it.  I only wish that the water temperature was a bit warmer further north.  

No comments: