Monday, May 27, 2019

Training 5/27-6/2

5/27- Another horrible day but at least I learned some things.  Tried again to go long and was even worse than yesterday.  This time, I was only able to hold a sub-10 pace for half a mile then turned around.  It appeared that I was improving yesterday evening but it did not carry over to today.  The culprit was clearly TRS, which I take in the mornings.  This explains why I have almost always been better in the evenings than the mornings as of late.  Again, I got a little better a few hours later but took another turn for the worse after a couple more sprays. 1 lap at Montreat took 3:17 (9:51 pace).

PM- In another interesting turn of events, sulfur and methyl products remain off limits but the non-methyl pills such as the B-complex and CBS/NOS are now tolerated again.  Just 6 hours after my last TRS sprays, I was down to 2:48 (8:24 pace).  Given my recent history, I predict that I will make it through the day tomorrow without TRS and might do decently well by the afternoon.  I'll probably still be okay on Wednesday morning but will crash by the afternoon and need the TRS again.
Distance-2.0

Reaction:
Is there anything I can do to stop this crap from happening all the time?  Yes.  I will take the TRS at night instead of in the morning and reduce the dosage from 5 sprays to 3.  Also, 1 or 2 days per week will be TRS and pill free to give my system a rest.  A 2 day break shortly before race day should ensure that it will be tolerated the night before the race.  Again, the turnaround must begin NOW or NEVER!

5/28-AM- Roughly 18 hours after my last spray, I was down to 2:22 at Montreat (7:06 pace)  MINUS 78 then added a long cool.  I think I can get under the Mendoza line this afternoon.  I expect that I will remain okay until about noon tomorrow then my system will DEMAND the TRS again.

PM- Under the Mendoza line but I really had to work for it.  Finished 3 miles in 23:51 (7:57 pace) with splits of 7:56-8:00-7:55.  I didn't have it sealed until the last quarter mile but was under 8 pace all the way by just a few ticks.  It is now almost 36 hours since my last spray and I won't be surprised if I'll need it when I wake up tomorrow.  I still plan to hold off until afternoon so I can get into a nightly routine from now on.
Distance=4.5

5/29- AM- As expected, I did need the TRS upon rising but will hold off as planned until the afternoon.  Did a half mile at Montreat and it was AWFUL!  This is good news actually.  If the TRS is not tolerated, there is no way that I get the toxins out and my vital organs will eventually FAIL!  I know now that 36 hours is as long as I can go without it.  How many consecutive days can it be tolerated?  I still don't know that yet but I have a plan to time it well so that I will be able to at least survive in Seattle.

PM- Got worse throughout the day but as expected, I was a lot better after taking the TRS.  Stayed indoors because I wasn't sure how I would do.  Ended up repeating the 3 miler and my time was down to 23:18 (7:46 pace).  MINUS 11.  Splits were 7:43-7:49-7:46.  Felt noticeably better compared to yesterday as well.  Took the non-methyl pills tonight and it seemed to be tolerated.
Distance=3.5

5/30- I spoke too soon about tolerance to pills.  I got pains under my ribcage shortly afterwards, which is a sign of too much stress on the vital organs burdened by toxins.  Here's the verdict:
Tolerated: Probiotics, ADHS, B-complex
NOT: B-complex, Charcoal
Very limited tolerance: CBS/NOS caps
The pills that are not tolerated are all involved with sulfur detox.  I'll just have to build up VERY gradually after the trip
Ended up with 2 junk miles with an afternoon session in 8:27
Distance=2.0

5/31- AM- Montreat 3 in the morning.  Finished in 25:36 (8:32 pace).  Triple the distance at a comparable pace.  I'll take it.  Splits were 8:39-8:32-8:25.
Distance=3.0

6/1- AM- I knew I was in trouble yesterday evening when I started getting drowsy for no real reason.  I stiffened up shortly thereafter.  As I surmised, I needed the Charcoal and/or the CBS/NOS caps.  Yes, once again, a pill that was not tolerated yesterday became necessary today.  Once the sulfur detox process is set in motion, it can't be stopped.  The need will be insatiable for the next few days then it will calm down.  Took 2 pills this morning but it wasn't enough.  Started off okay for the first quarter mile then faded hard.  Ended with another FAILURE in a group run.  2 miles in 22:06 (11:03 pace).  Did start to feel better after more Charcoal.

PM- Intervals:
Opener- 3:35 (10:45 pace)
CBS/NOS caps- 3:00 (9:00 pace)
Taurine- 3:25 (10:15 pace)
It's simple.  I NEED to detox the sulfur and can now take the CBS/NOS.  I thought taurine would be tolerated now that I am back on the CBS/NOS but no, it is not.  I must take mega doses for the next several days to have a shot at a sub-2 in Seattle and methyl groups must remain off limits until taurine is tolerated.
Distance=3.0

6/2- SUCCESS!  Lakeshore 10 in 89:40 (8:58 pace) despite the fact that yesterday's sulfur probably hasn't fully cleared.  First half-45:40, 2nd half-44-flat.  Last mile was 8:03.  This average pace would bring me home in 1:57:xx or about 1 minute faster than Rhode Island but I had plenty left and conditions will definitely be cooler in Seattle.  It was already sunny and 75 when I finished. Time to pack.  Flight leaves at 5:00.
Distance=10.0

-28 miles on the week. YTD- 500

No comments: