Friday, January 1, 2021

Training 1/1-1/10

 1/1- Nothing changes on New Year's Day.  Hoped to run 3 miles at Vestavia.  Had to settle for 1 with a time of 9:54.  Splits were 4:42-5:12.  Once again, a formula that showed promise yesterday did not work today.  Detailed health post is coming.

Distance=1.0

1/2- MUCH better today.  Opened with a 2:03 track lap without pills then was actually slightly better after a small Red Bull (1:57).  Rested for a few minutes, popped the pills and tried a Mile.  Finished in a much less horrible time of 7:18 then added a 2 lap cool.  Splits were 1:44-1:50-1:55-1:49.  I've been fading on the back half of my runs lately but that's probably just because I am out of shape.  I just want to get consistent volume at this point.  Not really worried about pace though I'd like to see a 6:xx at this distance soon then a 5:xx if it's not too much to ask.

Distance=2.0

1/3- 12.5 laps at Vestavia plus a 1.5 lap cool so I am on the board at the 5K distance for 2021.  Time was unimpressive at 26:54 (8:37 pace) but there were signs of hope.  I went out too conservative today but finished strong.  Splits were 8:51-8:48-8:25 then ran the last 200 in 50 seconds.  I was almost as fast over the last 400 today as I was in my opening lap of the Mile yesterday.  Early on, I thought I'd have for fight for a sub-28 but ended up breaking 27 and there is still room for improvement with better pacing.  As far as the adrenal spike, I was still awful without the pills so when the Curcumin arrives, I should see further improvement.  I expect the usual pattern with the strong negative initial reaction followed by the insatiable need, which will eventually fade.

Distance=3.5

1/4- Easy 4 on Lakeshore.  Finished in 35:39 (8:55 pace).  Solid performance.  Pacing for easy runs is hard to gauge at this stage so I just went by feel.  My current race pace at this distance as of yesterday is probably around 8:30 with proper pacing and easy runs should be 60+ seconds slower.  That said, race paces are improving every day at this point in training.  Maybe a touch fast but it's fine.  

Distance=4.0

1/5-AM- Vestavia Mile in 7:05.  I'm satisfied.  I was hoping to get under 7 today and came up short but I'm not going to complain about cutting off 13 seconds in 3 days.  11 of the 13 came in the back half so that's good news.  Splits were more typical this time.  1:43-1:49-1:51-1:42.  Back half was just 1 tick slower than the first half and the last go round was my fastest 400 of the year.  I'll beat that time easily in a flat out 400. I think I can get under 90.  There may be some bumps ahead with the expected arrival of the Curcumin pills but in the long-run, it will be a benefit.  May be back out for a short and easy run this evening.

PM- Lunch run on Lakeshore.  Easy 2.5 in 21;53 (8:45 pace).  Quite comfortable all the way and picked it up a bit on the back half.  I can bet that my next 5K time trial will be a LOT better.  I bet that I'll be well into the 25s.   Could have gone longer but I want to be conservative with the mileage early.  I want to keep it between 20-25 in this, the first week.

Distance=3.5 

1/6- I predicted bumps ahead with the arrival of the Curcumin and got a swift negative response to it.  However, this is often followed by an insatiable NEED for the next few days.  I predict that my need for ADHS and Lactoferrin will diminish and it will be a net benefit once I adjust.  Lactoferrin is late but should arrive no later than tomorrow.   Did 1 mile worth of junk running at Montreat.  Did not even time it but I figure that it was between 10 and 12 minutes.  Bad weather will arrive tomorrow and I had hoped to make that my planned rest day of the week.

Distance=1.0

1/7- AM-Good news.  Curcumin is effective.  Opened with a 1:44 half lap at Montreat then dropped to a 1:22 after popping 1 pill.  A 2nd pill dropped me down to a 1:08.  That's a drop from 10:24 pace all the way down to a 6:48 and was done WITHOUT either the ADHS or the Lactoferrin.  Unfortunately, that is likely it for today unless there is a break in the weather this evening.  Wish I could run inside but I don't think that is safe during a pandemic. I predict that I will experience another downturn this afternoon that will be relieved only after taking more Curcumin.  Maybe this won't last as long because I have taken Curcumin before.

PM- Able to squeeze in 1 mile at lunch. It was 3 laps at Montreat.  Predictions were accurate.  Within just a few hours, I was noticeable poorer and got relief only after taking more Curcumin.  Finished with an overall time of 8:02.  Splits were 3:05-2:40-2:17.  I popped 1 pill after each lap and we see the results.  It's going to be like this to a lesser extent at least through the weekend.

Distance=1.5

1/8- 1 mile junk run at Montreat.  Did not time it but to my relief, it did not feel as horrible as yesterday without the pills.  Figure around 9 minutes give or take and I was not pushing hard.  More good news came later this evening as alcohol was well tolerated.

Distance=1.0

1/9- Snow flurries today.  2 pills this morning were not nearly enough.  Hoped to run 2.5 on Lakeshore but settled for 1.5 in 14:08 (9:26 pace).  I was at 6:56 at the turnaround then slipped to a 7:12 but actually thought the fade would be worse on the back half.  Heart was not into it either.  Lactoferrin is stuck in transit but I don't think that is hurting me.  It will take a few more days to adjust to the Curcumin.  I will also donate blood down the road.

Distance=1.5

1/10- News is mixed.  Workout was a lot better today.  3x1 mile on Lakeshore with roughly 3 minutes rest.  Overall time was 24:35 (8:12 avg).

0 pills- 9;06

1 pill- 8:04

2 pills-7:25

Good news all around.  Not nearly as bad on no pills so on Day 5, as expected, I've nearly adjusted.  Still a pretty big gap after 1 pill but less of a gap between 1 and 2.  Didn't run on 3 but did not feel a significant change.  A few hours later however, the adrenal spike hit HARD.  The only thing that will help that is massive ADHS.  I'm prepared for another rough week ahead.

Distance=3.0

-22 miles in 10 days, which is a 7 day average of 15.4.  Not nearly enough.


No comments: