Monday, August 16, 2021

Training 8/16-8/22

 8/16- AM- Tried a 1 mile opener instead of the usual 1 lap at Montreat.  Finished in 9:22.  I was hoping for a little better than this but didn't expect to set the world on fire.  I don't think I could have matched the 2:11 for 1 lap from yesterday.  Perhaps, the soreness has kicked in a day late.  Pace was respectable early but fell off hard after the first quarter mile.  To my credit however, my pace was steady from about 400 meters on.  I don't know the exact numbers but I don't think the 4th quarter was any worse than the 2nd.  

PM- Clearly something is off.  I knew it all day at work.  It was intervals in order to find the culprit.  As I suspected, it was excess Lithium.  A trace of that stuff is needed to transport B12 but too much can be harmful.  This did raise another question:  Is the excess Lithium bad on its own or does it simply raise the demand for B12?  It appears that the former is true.  Loading on B12 helped to a point but once I exceeded a dosage of 30K, it made things worse.  Adding a trace of additional Lithium on top of that made things "worser."  If I sharply reduce the Lithium as planned, will my need and tolerance for B12 be reduced as well?  Probably not.  My optimal dose is probably around 20-25K of B12 regardless of the Lithium dose.  I will probably have to endure a rough day tomorrow as well but I am prepared to accept it.

Distance=2.5

8/17- Expected a rough day today but didn't expect this bad.  1.5 miles was all I could stand to do and finished in 15:36 (10:24 pace) with a slight negative split.  Worse than yesterday's opener without B12.  Took no Lithium but just 8000 B12 to level it out after yesterday's OD.  Got home and was noticeably better with an additional dose of B12.  Back to the standard dose tomorrow.

Distance=1.5

8/18- Took the standard B12 dose and bit off just a small piece of the Lithium.  The latter was a BAD call.  I had absolutely nothing today but forced myself to slow jog 1 mile at Montreat.  This development merits a separate post but it is a good bet that the Lithium needs to be cut out altogether.  Perhaps, the Intrinsic Factor eliminated the need for it.  

Tried extra Intrinsic Factor this evening and though I had no immediate effects, a couple hours later, I started feeling REALLY WEIRD.  Tired and no appetite at all.  Tried to force myself to eat some dinner but just could not. 

Distance=1.0

8/19- PATHETIC.  2 miles in 21:22 (10:41 pace).  Only slightly better than yesterday.  I had better see incremental improvement by tomorrow.  Perhaps it was not the Lithium in the ADHS that made me feel better.  Maybe it was something else.  More to come.

Distance=2.0

8/20- Got the expected incremental improvement.  Repeated the 2 miles on Lakeshore and my time is down to 19:24 (9:42 pace).  MINUS 59.  I'll take it and if I don't relapse next week, I might still have a slim chance of a non-disaster on race day.  ADHS should arrive any day now.

Distance=2.0

8/21- ADHS did come yesterday and I just wanted a conclusive reaction.  I didn't really care if it was positive or negative.  Did the same 2 mile distance again and my time was down to 18:24 (9:12 pace) so the rate of improvement was cut in half but it was still enough to be significant.  Took 2 ADHS pills and WHAM!  The reaction was swift and strongly negative.  Forced myself to go another half mile but the pace was over 12 minutes.  I am nearly certain that Lithium was the culprit and a course of ATP is highly unlikely to help.  I have 8 days to detox it before race day.

Distance=2.5

8/22- BEYOND AWFUL in the morning.  2.5 miles in 32-flat (12:48 pace).  No comments needed.

PM- I was MUCH better early.  Passed 1 mile in 10:11 then popped an Intrinsic Factor pill and slipped to a 10:44 on the back half for a 20:55 finish for 2 miles (10:27 pace).  This is strong evidence of a negative interaction between the Lithium and Intrinsic Factor.  That makes me feel better about this situation.  I will lay off the Intrinsic Factor for a few days.  Intrinsic Factor often takes a couple hours to fully kick in and I was "worser" when I got home.  7 days to detox it out.

Distance=4.5

-16 miles on the week

No comments: