Monday, September 27, 2021

Training 9/27-10-3

 9/27- AM- Hated interval workout. 4 half lappers at Montreat plus a lap cool.  I know from yesterday that I am about 50 seconds per mile faster on Intrinsic Factor plus B12 versus going without pills.  Extra B12 did nothing.  What about extra Intrinsic Factor?  Not a significant gain.  I did a 78 with 2 pills and a 76 on 4 pills.  Encouraged that I was under 80 without Thym-Adren.

The Thym-Adren trial went similarly.  I improved bigly to a 65 on 2 of those pills then repeated the 65 on 4 pills.  I was slower by 1/10 of a second so that did essentially nothing.  That's good and bad.  Running nearly all out, I managed only a 6:30 pace for 1/6 of a mile.  That's a VERY low ceiling and the total gap with the Intrinsic B12 + Thym-Adren amounts to about 2 minutes/mile.  On no pills, my pace would have been more like 8:30 per mile.  That's still quite a sizable gap that shows no signs of closing.  The good news is that although I am dependent on both pills every day, the dosage does NOT seem to matter.  I'll perform about the same on mega doses as the low doses and I like that stability.  The rate of improvement will be slower than last week but MAYBE I can slowly work my way back to respectability. 

PM- As expected, the rate of improvement has slowed.  Did 3 miles on Lakeshore again and my time is down to 26:30 (8:50 pace) with very even splits.  Taking a booster B12 pill during the run did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  That's MINUS 35 per mile compared to last time but that was 4 days ago.  If I run it again tomorrow, I predict a similar time.  A plateau at this level is unacceptable.  I felt heavy and sluggish all day including during the run.  I can try Fulvic acid and see a real doctor.  I hope that he will prescribe B12 injections and rule out any other autoimmune disease.  The one that I am planning to see is a runner so he might have a modicum of understanding how I feel.

Distance=4.0 

9/28- Only had time for 2 miles this morning because I slept in a bit.  Finished in 17:08 (8:34 pace).  This confirms that I have plateaued.  If I had run 3 miles, my time probably would have been the same as yesterday, give or take a few seconds.  This is not good.

PM- Didn't plan to run this session but got the idea to try Taurine in an effort to reduce my blood pressure and improve my electrolyte balance.  Repeated the 2 mile and my time was down to 16:20 (8:10 pace).  MINUS 24.  Of note was that I was at 4:21 at the half mile mark then popped Taurine.  From that point on, I was doing sub-8 pace.  Perhaps, I finish under 16 if I took Taurine at the beginning.  That's not a miracle cure but clearly a significant step forward.  I may have a flicker of hope.

Distance=4.0

9/29- I've developed an insatiable need for Taurine.  Took 1000 mg in the morning and I knew before the workout that it wasn't nearly enough.  Clocked a pathetic 3:42 (11:06 pace) at Montreat.  I was less horrible on another 1000 and finished in 3:14 (9:42 pace).  Added a cool.  I know what is coming.  The need for Taurine will eventually diminish but an adrenal spike could hit when it does.

Distance=1.0

9/30- AM- Took extra Taurine and improved to 2:53 (8:39 pace) for 1 lap.  The real workout is going to be ugly.  

PM- 1.5 miles on Lakeshore in 15:10 (10:07 pace).  Two pieces of good news.  I tried some Lysine and the ill-effects were not as bad as last week.  Also, I had a pretty strong negative split with a last half mile @ 9:40 pace.  That usually means that I am improving.

Distance=2.0

As I predicted, my body adjusted to the Taurine and it was followed by an adrenal spike.  Able to do very little over the weekend.

No comments: