Monday, October 30, 2023

Training 10/30-11/5- Possible Race

 10/30- 2.5 miles on Lakeshore.  Dialed back the effort a bit but still pleased.  Finished in 22:35 (9:02 pace).  Back to negative splits too.  1st half- 11:30, 2nd half- 11:05.  Cardio was strong and got stronger as the run progressed but the legs are sore.  Not used to quality workouts and it will take time to adjust.  Wanted to add a half mile cool but was short on time.  I could have broken 9 minute pace with a bit more effort and would probably be in the 27s for a 5K.  Speaking of that, Vulcan is this weekend and they've added a 5K this year.  I'm thinking about doing it.

Distance=2.5

10/31- BAD!  Hoped to run a slow 4 miler in the high 9 range.  Had to settle for 2 in a time of 20:24 (10:12 pace).  Got off to a good start with an 8:45 pace through the first 0.75 then suddenly died.  Mile 2 was 11:20 and it got slower with every step.  Got home and tried extra Thym-Adren, which made things WORSE, not better.  That tells me that the adrenal spike is over, and I can (and must) reduce that dosage.  Not surprised or disappointed that this happened but it does make me feel uneasy that I got so much worse just 36 hours after a decent showing.  I expect to struggle again tomorrow but should reach some sort of equilibrium by the end of the week.  I remain Questionable for Vulcan.  

Distance=2.0

11/1- Expected to struggle but did better than expected.  2 miles in 19:43 (9:51 pace).  Back to negative splits (10-flat/9:43).  Could have gone longer but probably a good call to play it safe when out of balance.  I hope to stabilize at 2-3 Thym-Adren pills with no extreme dependence.  I took 8 yesterday and 2 today.  If I quit cold turkey, I'll flip to the other side of the spectrum in just a few days.  I'm still about 50/50 on Vulcan.  I expect to be better tomorrow.

Distance=2.0

11/2- 3 miles on North Lakeshore in 28:36 (9:32 pace).  Faster and longer than yesterday but NOT better.  I aimed for an even 9 pace and was nearly on target for the first half then faded badly.  I won't say it was a collapse but it got worse and worse as the run progressed.  Splits were 13:37-14:59 and it took a closing rally to get the back half under 15.  What do I make of this?  I don't know.  Perhaps, I still need the Curcumin.  I've downgraded to Doubtful for Vulcan.  Even I don't race this weekend, I'll have at least 2 more chances before the end of 2023.

Distance=3.0

11/3- Unplanned rest day.  I am officially OUT for Vulcan. I don't feel ready even if I was having a good stretch.  Maybe I can race a 5K in December.   In the aftermath of yesterday's effort, I was MUCH worse after drinking a Red Bull but got somewhat better after taking a Curcumin.  Extra Thym-Adren did nothing.  That tells me that Candida is still an issue.  I still have to take Curcumin and limit sugar and alcohol.

11/4- Good call on the no-go decision.  I would have had NOTHING!  On a half lap at Montreat without the Curcumin, I was over 12-minute pace.  I did get down to the low-9s on 3 pills while Thym-Adren did nothing. Forced myself to do a full mile afterwards going non-stop and it felt like slow motion.  Didn't even time it but I suspect it was near 12 minutes.  It's cycle.  It will be extreme need for Curcimin for the next several days followed by another adrenal spike, which will then be followed by a Curcumin need.  Fortunately, the cycles will become less intense over time.

Distance=1.5

11/5- 2 miles in the daylight at 6 AM.  I'll be able to do this for the next 3 weeks or so then December and January will be totally dark.  It was better than yesterday.  Finished in 20:12 (10:06 pace).  Interestingly, the splits were dead even at 10:06 each but I was AWFUL in the middle.  Both the first and last quarter miles were half decent. 

PM- Repeated the 2 miler in warmer conditions.  Improved to 18:16 (9:08 pace).  Slight negative split even though I actually dialed it down on the back half.  Unfortunately, I feel like the adrenal spike is already starting to hit by the evening.  Good news is that it won't last long.

Distance= 4.0

 

-15 miles on the week.  It has not been pretty, but I've averaged 15 over the past 3 weeks


No comments: