Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Goals for 2024

 The goal is very modest.  I just want to do better than I did the previous year.  Let's revisit a specific date: November 13, 2022.  After 15 years, I completed my goal of finishing a half marathon in every US state at the Val Nolasco half marathon in Honolulu, Hawaii.  Crossing the finish line that day was anti-climactic as I felt very little joy or happiness in that moment.  I didn't feel much sense of achievement at the time either.  It was 90 percent sadness.

   After doing more walking than jogging for the previous 3 miles, I summoned all my strength to trudge across the finish line with a very slow jog.  I was totally spent when I crossed the line.  I had no more spurts of jogging left in me and even the quarter mile walk back to my hotel was quite a voyage.  I don't even remember my time, but it was somewhere between 2:46-2:49, easily my worst ever. Especially now, I do NOT want this to be my last race.  That is not the way that I want to go out!  I'd much prefer to go out with a local 5K in which a final sprint shores up a sub-30 minute finish and I pass a couple of people in the last tenth of a mile.  That's hardly a triumph, but it's better than what I described above.    

After the disaster in Hawaii, I took 6 weeks of complete inactivity as a last ditch effort to reset my system.  It didn't work.  The sensitivity and extreme need for pills still remained.  Nevertheless, from New Years 2023 up through President's Day, I showed some pretty steady improvement.  I never got much below 28 minutes for 5K but I started out closer to 35 minutes.  Things took a turn for the worse when I made a serious effort to tackle the Candida.  I started with Apple Cider Vinegar and Probiotics then later tried anti-fungals, most notably Curcumin, NAC and then Zinc.  I kept hoping that I could get healthy enough to try a local 5K at some point later in the year but it never happened.

Again, let's just do better than last year.  That's not asking for much!  

No comments: