Monday, January 22, 2024

Training 1/22-1/28

 1/22- The streak has come to an end.  I saw it coming yesterday but this still hurts especially the way it happened.  I had hoped that I would narrowly miss my best time of the year at a specific distance.  Instead, I collapsed.  

Got off to a decent start but the power cut off at just 0.2 miles and I just mailed it in from there.  Called it quits after just 1 mile in a time of 11:10, my worst showing since 1/2. 

 The culprit is my diet.  Not surprisingly, I was bad at the resort.  What was surprising is that I seemed to get away with it.  For that reason, I didn't get back on track right away after I got home.  Now, I must get back on track.  I can expect rough days ahead but hopefully not as bad as the recent candida die off, which was as bad as the flu.

PM- Half mile at Montreat in 4:46 (9:32 pace).  Better already.   If I had slipped from an 8:30 to an 8:45 because of one too many forbidden drinks, that's understandable.  A complete collapse like this morning should not happen.  Hopefully, I start a new streak tomorrow but the next 2 days may be hard.

Distance=1.5 

1/23- Montreat Mile in 10:24.  Improvement of 46 seconds over yesterday.  Negative split too (5:17-5:07) but I am still very discouraged.  Hopefully, I stay on track and am back to where I was 2 days ago by the end of the week.  Weather this week will be warm but rainy.  

PM- MAJOR update: The last 2 days, I've noticed that I felt better in the afternoon.  Today, I began to suspect that the adrenal spike has gone down after 3 weeks and I need to reduce the Thym-Adren.  That makes me feel a LOT better.  Taking way too many glandulars DOES explain a collapse.  The spike goes down just as suddenly as it went up.  I still need to get the diet back on track but perhaps that was not the problem after all.  I did the hated interval test after work.  

Half lap at Montreat in 1:28.5 (8:51 pace).  This was Mile effort, not an all out sprint.  I don't think I could have held it for a sub-9, but I certainly would have come in well under 10, which is a significant gain over the morning.  I cheated on the diet and it didn't hurt me.  Popped 2 more Thym-Adren and was immediately poorer.  With the same effort, I managed only a 1:41.5 (10:09 pace)  PLUS 78.  Added another half lap naked as a cool down.

Going forward:

I will cut the Thym-Adren from 6 pills to 3.  When I do get back on track, the adrenals could spike again.  I'll worry about that later.    

Distance=1.5

1/24- Repeated the Montreat Mile plus a cool on the lower dose and my time was all the way down to 8:22.  Best time of the year.  Excellent pacing (4:12-4:10) without an all out kick at the end.  Never expected this much improvement so quickly.  I should see a sub-8 very soon.  Weather looks very iffy for the remainder of the week.  Hopefully, there will be some breaks.  Sunday looks okay and I will try the 10K if I feel up to it.

Distance=1.5 

1/25- Planned rest day due to rain.  Made an important discovery.  I forgot to take the Glycine and I felt the difference.  It was not good.  This time, a forbidden drink DID hurt me.  The collapse on Monday was due to excess Thym-Adren AND a lack of Glycine.  The latter factor was worsened by my diet.  I was half right after all.  Back on track starting today.

1/26- Woke up feeling pretty good and was optimistic about breaking 30 for 5K.  As soon as I started, it was obvious that something was off.  Never had a good pace and it got worse as it progressed.  Settled for 1 mile in a pathetic time of 11:48.  The culprit this time?  Too much Glycine!!!   Words cannot express how much I HATE THIS!!  A bad reaction because I took too many glandulars?  I don't like it but that's understandable.  Too much of an amino acid, especially one that I need?   NOT OKAY!!!!   The Cytokine suppressants were SUPPOSED to stop this from happening.  All I can do is go back to the low dose and hope that staying clean with the diet will reduce the need for Glycine.

Distance= 1.0

1/27-AM Montreat Mile in the dark to beat the rain.  Improved to 10:51 on low dose Glycine.  MINUS 57.  Same pattern as Tuesday.  Negative splits (5:32-5:19).  Hope to see big improvement tomorrow but caffeine withdrawal could set in.  I could have done better if I didn't take any but if I did that, I'd see a meltdown because I did NOT take it.  ARGH!   Felt better after taking a nap.

PM- Repeated the Montreat Mile and improved to 9:40 with pretty even splits (4:48-4:52).  It wasn't pretty but this is over 2 minutes better than where I was just 36 hours ago.  Started in a drizzle that became a more steady rain towards the end.  I will not attempt the 10K tomorrow.  I will shoot for 4 miles.

Distance=2.0

1/28- FAIL.   I knew it before I started.  Quit after just a half mile in 5:52 and would have been well over 12 for a full mile.  Made an important discovery later in the day.  I've been slacking on my Magnesium Malate lately but did take it last night.  It made the reaction to the Glycine MUCH WORSE.  I DO NOT GET THIS AT ALL!  Magnesium Glycinate is a very popular form and I don't see how Magnesium can cause a Glycine intolerance nor do I see how not taking it can cause a need for it.  WHAT THE ______________!  Cytokine suppressants have NOT stopped the sensitivity!  ARGH!!!  

Important update:

I ate a couple of strawberries with my lunch and felt noticeably WORSE afterwards.  Strawberries contain malic acid.  There is got to be some sort of negative interaction between Glycine and malic acid.  I do NOT think that this is normal.  However, in theory, as long as I take the Mag malate consistently, I should not need the Glycine.

Distance= 0.5

- only 8 miles this week.  YTD= 40.

No comments: