Monday, January 8, 2024

Training 1/8-1/14

 1/8- Montreat Mile in 9:07 plus a half mile cool.  The rate of improvement is slower, but the streak remains intact.  This was 31 seconds faster than I did 3 days ago and I expect to be under 9 next time.  I am still a distressing 87 seconds away from my reset PR.  Splits were 2:58-3:04-3:05. Really struggled in the back half but did finish pretty strong in the last half lap.  Legs are loose and limber but the cardio tires easily, which is characteristic of an adrenal spike.  One minor milestone that I realized that I accomplished shortly after:  This is sub-2 pace for a half marathon.  Another 12.1 miles at this pace seems insurmountable, however.  That's it for today.  Wind and rain are in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning.

Distance= 1.5

1/9- 2 miles on Lakeshore in 20:32 (10:16 pace).  Not bad.  Despite the slow pace, I can take away several positives from this one.  First, this was an evening session after no pills for several hours.  I couldn't hack it at all last week.  This wasn't pretty but I was able to do it.  Although my 2 mile split during the 5K was comparable to this, I was NOT completely spent when I finished tonight.  I certainly would have improved my 5K time by a significant margin.  Splits were 9:58-10:34 but the back half was into a stiff headwind, so the fade wasn't that bad.  This is a new distance for 2024 so it does not affect the streak.  I will need to improve the next time I run this route.

Distance=2.0

1/10- The streak continues.  Montreat Mile in 8:34 with splits of 2:44-2:56-2:54.  Cut off another 33 seconds in just 2 days.  This is unsustainable.  I know that I will level off soon, but I am going to enjoy it while it lasts.  I could have broken 8:30 if I didn't go out so fast.  1st half lap was 1:18 but I was pretty even after that.  I am now within 54 of my reset PR.  I'll do more track time trials from now on.  

Distance=1.0

1/11- North Lakeshore 5K in 30:48 (9:54 pace).  MASSIVE improvement over last weekend (34:30).  Very well paced (15:19-15:29) with the back half being slightly uphill.  This is not a certified route, but my GPS read 3.11, so figure it's accurate give or take about 30 yards.  My bare ass minimum standard for race shape is a sub-60 10K and I am almost halfway there.  Can't say I'm pleased with where I am but I've shown the greatest improvement I've ever seen over the last 10 days.

PM- Easy 1.4 miles with no watch (naked).  4 laps at Montreat plus 100 meters.  Not much more than a junk run to pad the mileage.  Could not pass up a 60 degree evening.  Felt okay.  No real soreness from the morning 5k.  The Punta Cana trip is a GO!  Mileage will be hard to come by for the next 6 days and I may not even have access to the Internet.  May not post until next week.

Distance=4.5

1/12- Rain held off long enough for 2 miles at South Lakeshore.  The streak remains very much alive.  Finished in 18:34 (9:17 pace) with even splits (9:15-9:19).  If I didn't slack on the last hill, this would have been a FULL MINUTE faster per mile than just 3 days ago.  Granted, it helped that it was a morning session after I just took the pills.   Smooth and relaxed effort despite a bit of soreness in the hip and groin area.  No real concern about that.  I only needed another mile in about 10:15 to break 30 for 5K and I think I had a shot.  Off to Atlanta this evening to catch a morning flight tomorrow.

Distance-2.0

1/13- Planned rest day.  Arrived in the Dominican Republic.

1/14- 1 mile stop and go.  No time.  Just farting around to get the distance in but one observation is clear.  I'm still very much dependent on the Thym-Adren.  I was about 45 seconds faster per mile with the same effort after taking just 2 pills (current dose is 6).  That's good and bad.  I HATE being so dependent on the pills but it also reveals room for improvement.  I expect to level off when I am less dependent on the pills.

Distance= 1.0

=12 miles on the week.  YTD= 22.

No comments: