Tuesday, December 23, 2008

training Dec. 21-28

12/21-planned rest day
12/22- Another split workout. Injury scare 2.5 miles into moderate paced 5 miler. I was at 18:20 at the half with bad calf and shin pain then stopped to remove old orthotics. Proceeded to run final 2.5 in a fairly comfortable 16:53 (6:45 pace), which would have been a PR if I had run the 2nd half pace the entire way. I'll count it as a good tempo effort. Longer and easy tomorrow.
Grade:B+/2 credit/distance=5.5
12/23-Good tempo run. 6 miles at goal half marathon pace (45:22), on pace for just under 1:39 in the half, followed by 1 mile at 5K pace with no break in between. Last mile was a strong 6:19 (19:40 5K pace). This run has got me curious about my current 5K fitness but my focus will remain on the marathon until Spring. Training is a bit fast but my mileage will be low this week for obvious reasons.
Grade:A/2 credit/distance=7.5
12/24-travel day, no running.
12/25- Christmas Day, no running
12/26-3.25 miles with an old HS teammate. Pace was about 7:30. Mild pain in my foot that should go away when the new orthotics come in. I didn't have my best stuff and doubt that I could have gone much farther than 10K at that pace. Below average.
BAFA reuninon at night, another half mile easy.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=4.0
12/28-untimed 2 mile while sleep deprived and had just finished my trip home. Pace felt decent, tender achilles during the run and calf pain afterwards was a bit scary. A bit better than the last run but still no better than average.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=2.0
_________________________________________
Weekly summary: These injury scares and aches and pains are causing me a lot of anxiety. The cut back in mileage was part of a taper for an important time trial next week. This was my third straight week above 3.0 but ended on a pretty sour note.
Distance= 19.0. Weekly GPA= 18.6/6 credits= 3.100
_________________________________________

No comments: