Monday, June 1, 2009

training May 31st-June 6th

5/31- Hard speedwork at Vestavia. 2 mile warmup in 15:24 (7:42 pace) then the real workout.
16x200 with 1 minute R. Ran the first 15 all between 34-37 seconds (most were 35) then let out all that I had left and motored the last one in 29.6 seconds (fastest time since '01). Overall pace for the intervals was about 4:45 per mile. 1 mile cool down at glacial pace. I think that I am ready for a sub-5:30 attempt very soon, maybe even sub-5:25. The latter would be my fastest time since '99.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=5.0
6/1- Easy 5.6 miles at Lakeshore trail @ 7:47 pace. That's fine considering that it was a morning run and just 12 hours after my speed workout. Started too fast and faded a bit after mile 4 but never felt too uncomfortable during the run. I was beat up afterwards and may need a rest tomorrow. We'll see how I feel.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0
6/2-Easy 6 miles in 46:36 (7:46 pace) at Hoover HS. Very similar stats to yesterday's workout but felt better overall. Ran an even pace and even managed to pick it up slightly at the end without any real discomfort. Could have gone another 4 but I have a potentially hard day tomorrow at the Trak Shak. Splits were 23:20/23:16. Maybe a bit fast for an easy day but this is about 1 minute/mile slower than my PR at this distance and I felt good.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=6.5
6/3-Trak Shak group run. Tried to run with a faster group and got my head handed to me. Battled hard all the way and ended up at 6.4 miles at an average pace of 7:22. This was a near all out effort and ended up around tempo pace. Considering the hills and tired legs, this is acceptable and maybe a little better than average.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=6.5
6/4-planned rest day. Body feels beat up.
6/5- Veterans Park 4 mile @ 8:04 pace according to Garmin. I suspect it was really around 7:50 because Mile 2 was through the woods, which may have messed with the signal. Finished with a lap around the lake at 7:47 pace while maintaining an even effort throughout. Still feeling beat up. The long run may hurt tomorrow. Average performance.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=4.5
6/6- 16.07 miles @ 8:16 pace. 1st 11 miles with Scott and John then continued on my own for the final 5 . 1st 8 were easy (about 8:30 pace) but it picked up from there. Running alone, I did the first 4 miles just under 8 then managed to run the 16th at half marathon pace (7:23). Followed that with an all out sprint for the last .07 and hit a top speed of 4:11/mi. on flats.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=16.0
Weekly summary: Only one excellent workout but none were rated as fair, poor or failure. I like that consistency. I hope I can maintain this mileage in this training cycle with more speedwork.
Distance=44.0 GPA: 29/9 credits= 3.222

No comments: