Monday, June 29, 2009

training 6/28-7/4

6/28- Went from symptoms of taking too much chromium to symptoms of not taking enough in just 36 hours. Low strength isn't enough. Full strength is too much. I can't take this anymore! Body quit on me after just 1.5 miles then tried to do a very easy warm down at 9:00 pace and I could not even do that. Pathetic.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=2.0
6/29-Took full strength chromium and got back to where I was on race day. 6 miles on Lakeshore trail in 43:17 (7:13 pace). Average performance. Nearly an all out effort to run tempo pace. Good start but got slower with each mile. 1st half of trail in 17:32, 2nd half in 18:10 followed by a weak 7:35 6th mile. Probably would have been under 60 for 8 miles so not bad overall. On pace for about a 45-flat 10K which is well short of my peak. Felt a bit off form. Need to raise the Serine dosage or switch to Calm-PRT. No doubt that I need the full strength chromium and something stronger to slow my adrenals.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=6.0
6/30-Johnny's speed session. This is more like myself. (200-400)x4 plus an 800 for dessert.
200s were all 33-35. 400s were 75-73-72-63. 800 was a 2:33 (best time of the year). That last 400 felt a lot easier than last week and I finished it faster than I started, proving that last week's 62 was no fluke. High hopes that taurine + Serine is the final answer.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=4.0
7/1- Tied up in traffic and got to the Trak Shak late. Did the 8 mile course in 61:48 (7:42 pace) solo for a new course PR. Got heckled and got called "crazy" so I'm living up to my name. Temp was around 90. Pushed it pretty hard from the start and felt strong until the last hill then hung on fairly well. Took more taurine. Is this the final breakthrough that I have been praying for?
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=8.0
7/2- Probably a mistake to run today. 3 miles easy at Veteran's Park. Overall pace was just over 7:30 though it was faster than that early. Started too fast and paid the price. Quit the workout at the first sign of a struggle. I may have to start at easier effort now that my legs are used to the speed training. I like the fact that I had the energy to even feel like starting that fast but I was beat up after ward and felt hyperthyroid. Performance was fair overall.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=3.5
7/3- 400 meter time trial in 62.50. I timed myself in 62.9 last Tuesday so this does go in the books as my fastest time since '99. Got out under 15, slipped a little in the midsection but still came through 300 in 46. Legs felt too loose in the last 100 and could not accelerate like I did on Tuesday. I left everything out there on that lap too because I tried to run some 300s after it and managed only 2 weak efforts followed by a cool down.
Final thought: 2.51 seconds away or a full 10 seconds per mile. That's like dropping from a 5:10 to a 5:00 mile, which would be very tough, but I did not rest the day before and clearly did not have my "A" stuff out there. I'll take another shot at this after a rest day next week. I don't want this to be an obsession but I will make it an official goal.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=1.5
7/4- Good hard long run with John. Started out around 7:45 for the first half then hit the trail and picked up the pace. Left John behind after a 7:10 then maintained it for another 3. Not quite PR stuff today but pretty solid overall. Finished 8+ miles in 61 minutes.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=8.5
Weekly summary:
I ran all 7 days this week, which is rare for me. I still need to tweak the formula. Calm-PRT appears to be too strong and Taurine is not a magic cure but should put me on the right track. Lower mileage than usual but all of it was at 7:45 or better (even the F workout). Very much up and down and a bit of an emotional roller coaster. My next medical report won't be for another 3 months and I want to stick with this formula until that time.
Distance=33.5/ GPA: 35.4 /12= 2.950

No comments: