Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Angry again

Since about mid-summer, it's been one thing after another.
May, most of June and the first half of July were quite good but it's been downhill since then. Yes, there have been 2 highlights. That Elvis 5K in 19:37 on a rolling course would have threatened my PR if it had been flat. Also, I completed my clean sweep of post-adrenal fatigue PRs in 2009 from 400 to marathon with a 42:30 10K in September. Both of those races were done in the midst of my chromium roller coaster. I eventually learned that zinc inhibits chromium absorption and I have since solved it (I think). Before that, I had to deal with the "wired and tired" feeling that was corrected by taurine. I think I've solved that one too but there were a lot of bumps along the way.
In the past month, two more issues have sprung up and what is most irritating is that neither should have happened.
If I had my tooth pulled like I would have preferred 2.5 years ago, I never would have had the nasty tooth pain that required antibiotic use. I never should have been prescribed anything as strong as Clindamycin, which I have learned is one of the worst regarding post-antibiotic diarrhea. I lost 4 days of training from the toothache and a few more during the course of antibiotic treatment (that stuff throws the adrenals out of whack) and just when I thought I was turning the corner by hitting 50 miles, I have been knocked out of commission by diarrhea and stomach cramps.
Yes, I finally bit the bullet and went to the doctor today because I was afraid that I may have a colon infection. A urine and blood test proved that I did not. I just have to clear my system which means I basically cannot eat. I am only allowed clear liquids and chicken broth so it goes without saying that I am not feeling very strong. I had to do something. It got to the point in which I was going 2-3 times at night plus 6-8 times during the day. It goes without saying that there will no be significant running this week. I wanted to race at least twice, maybe 3 times in November and I really needed October to be a good month. As it is, no 5K on 10/31, maybe not anything in November either. I do expect to be ready for a December half and a February full. It's really a shame. I would have had a shot at my 5K PR and could have smashed my 10K and gotten my sub 1:35:30 half marathon, which would mean that I am halfway to Boston. I think the latter is still possible in December. To put this in perspective, I was more concerned about my general health and the test proved that I have nothing serious to worry about.

No comments: