Thursday, October 8, 2009

training 10/4-10/10

10/4-3 mile recovery run on still very stiff groin muscles. My recovery drink yesterday contained too much taurine and I paid the price of extreme soreness. I can take away a positive that I showed some life at the end and should be normal by tomorrow. Pace was near 8 indoors in Hoover (rain outside).
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=3.0
10/5- Metro Fitness 10 in Monty in 78:50 (7:53 pace). A little on the quick side for a run at that distance but I never felt uncomfortable. 9 of 10 miles were below 8:00. Felt strong. Weight was 148, which remains 7 lbs. too light but I'm not going to worry about it. I've been over 150 a few times this year and always felt lousy. The weight issues will resolve when I am in balance.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=10.5
10/6- Wanted to do intervals but could not. Too much chromium. I knew this would happen eventually and it's good news in the long run but today sucked and tomorrow will likely be rough also. Started out at an "easy 7:40 pace" for the first half lap but at the end of 2 miles, my pace had fallen to 8:40 and was getting slower each lap. If I had continued, it would have been 10 minute+ pace so I hung it up. Because I was able to do essentially nothing today, my punishment is no rest day this week.
Grade:F+/1 credit/distance=2.0
10/7-Metro Fitness 7 @ 8:25 pace on average. First mile was 8:07 then it got gradually worse until Mile 6 was a putrid 8:45 but I did come back with an 8:12 to finish followed by a cool down. I want my easy runs to be 7:45-8:15 (as per McMillian based on 5K time) so I wasn't too far off today. Improvement over yesterday but still quite sluggish.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=7.5
10/8-Glad to be back in "the Ham" and this week reinforced why I wanted to move here from Monty. Today's workout was what I had hoped to do on Tuesday and less. Long intervals at Vestavia with obstacles (band and football players). Hoped to run 6 but ended up at 5x1000 averaging 3:45 (even 6:00 pace)with a 3 min. R. Range was 3:42-3:51 with a hard fought 3:44 last kilometer to finish 5/6 of the planned workout on time. Not much left for dessert but I did manage a 74 last go round. Legs felt OK but lungs were burning. This was my 2nd day without chromium. What will happen tomorrow? I could have symptoms of deficiency. Average performance today. Could I have gone 5 straight kilometers averaging 4:00? I doubt it. My PR is 3:50 pace, which would have been out of the question today.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=4.5
10/9- Avoided rain and brutally humid conditions by doing an easy 4.5 at the Hoover Rec Center. Temp was 80+ with sun and rain. No thanks. Pace was near 8 and felt decent considering the hard workout yesterday. Can I hit 50 on the week?
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=4.5
10/10- Long run that started in mid-morning (rain early). Damp the entire time but never worse than a drizzle. I needed chromium and took 2 after I felt awful early. Dang it. I hope that I can taper off this stuff. The workout? 17.5 on rolling terrain @ an average moving pace pace of 8:14 (stopped several times to drink and wait for traffic). That's a 3:35 marathon pace but I was cooked (well) after 15.5 and those last 2 miles sucked something awful. Pace was pretty even through 15 but faded to near 9 after that. Add a 1/4 for warm up and cool down and I've hit the mileage target. Not an "A" but only one notch below.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=18.0
Weekly summary:
I'm partly satisfied with my week. I HATE that I am still so unstable with regards to the chromium. Some day, I will be free that stuff. If not for the "F," I could have hit close to 55 with a decent GPA. Oh well, it is what it is.
Distance=50.0 (YEAH!)/ GPA= 25.5/10=2.55 (same as last week, not pleased)

No comments: