Monday, May 16, 2011

Training 5/16-5/22

5/16- The tooth came out and the recovery process has begun. In addition to those 3 questions posed earlier, there is one positive thought. This low grade infection may have been present for months or even longer. When it's cleaned out, will it accelerate the healing from adrenal dysfunction? Planned rest day. Hoping to get an easy one in tomorrow.

5/17- Planned workout was an easy 5. I felt different immediately after I woke up. I got off to a good start (1:35 first quarter feeling good) so I decided to go for it. I finished with a remarkable time of 32:21 (unofficial PR, 6:28 pace) despite feeling a bit weakened by antibiotics. I'm at a loss for words right now. Splits were 6:26-6:27-6:34-6:34-6:20. I think I would have had a shot at the 10K PR if I would have kept going. This projects to a 40:33 10K and a 1:30:14 half.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=6.0

5/18- Trak Shak 8 in 55:43 (6:58 pace). Strong performance overall. I did fade a bit toward the end. This will probably be the last Wednesday below 80 degrees until September. 1st half was 27:09. 2nd half was 28:34. Not so pleased with that. Lungs were hurting worse than my legs. Perhaps the antibiotics have left me weak. Only 2 days to go on that stuff. This was my 3rd best time on this course.
Grade:A-/2 credits/distance=8.5

5/19- Naked run at Vestavia. I estimate that my pace was a little over 8 for 6 miles. Struggled. Felt worse after taking another antibiotic pill. Only one more day on that stuff. On an easy day, I did pretty much what I planned but I rate my performance as only fair.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=6.0

5/20- Indoor 5 miler fully clothed in 38:55 (7:47 pace). Finished up the last of the antibiotics this morning and hit the nadir shortly thereafter. Since noon, I have been feeling improvement. Still quite weak and would have had nothing in a hard workout but I did what I planned today and it felt slightly better than yesterday.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=5.0

5/21- Group run which dropped all but one. Moderate effort. Finished at 8.7 miles @ 7:34 pace. This was the best that I have felt since Wednesday. I hope to be in the clear by tomorrow evening. It looks like I won't need any more SBF now that the antibiotics have cleared my system. Long cool down to reach a round number on the day. New Garmin 110 and I'm pleased with it. The old one was falling apart.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=10.0

5/22- The taper has begun. Moderate Lakeshore 5 in 36:21 (7:17 pace). Temp was 75 which is not so bad but that sun was BRIGHT. Early forecast for race day is a chance of rain and 46 degrees. Garmin 110 won't let me view laps after the run. WTH? I can view them using Garmin Connect Online. When this one wears out, I'll look to another GPS. Maintained sub-7:30 pace in relative comfort then turned it on for a 6:52 5th mile. Feel strong.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=5.0
I would normally run in the afternoon and feel good enough to do so but since I'm tapering, I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Weekly summary:
I may really be in the clear. The tooth is out and the antibiotics have cleared my system. The adrenals are still overactive but at least for now, that's treatable with the ADHS. Finished over 40 miles and got back over 3.0
Distance=40.5/ GPA= 29.7/9= 3.30

No comments: