Monday, May 30, 2011

Training 5/30-6/4

5/30- Basic run of the mill easy 6 indoors. I didn't care at all about the pace but it ended up at 47:36 (7:56 average) with very even splits. That was a bit much for the day after a race and it should have been just a junk run. No harm done.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=6.0

5/31- Johnny's workout. It was short today because of the heat (92 with a 95 heat index). That was fine. I wasn't up for a real hard workout 2 days after a half. 4x400 in 74, 800 in 2:39. 2 more slow 800s in 3:30 and a 2 mile cool. No complaints about this one. It will be hotter over the next 2 days. The RD has confirmed that the CDA course was long. It goes in the books as a PR with an asterisk.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=5.0

6/1- National Running Day. Easy 5 at the Shak in 95 degree temps with a 100 heat index. Time was 38:23 (7:41 pace) with relatively even splits. Hurting but did what I planned. After my next half mary, I'm taking one day off regardless of how well I feel. Edit: According to run works, this is equivalent to a sub-37 or 7:20 pace in 70 degree weather. No wonder it felt hard. Indoors tomorrow. No relief from the heat for at least another week.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.5

6/2- Much more comfortable indoor 6.5 miler in a time of 49:41 (7:39 pace). Started too fast then backed off to a more sensible pace towards the end. Felt good but not effortless. Went to a baseball game after the run with a couple of guys from the track club and got eaten by bugs. Not a very pleasant experience.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=6.5

6/3- 7 miles indoors in 55:36 (7:57 pace). Struggled. Not enough food in my system but got through the workout. Drove to Nashville in the afternoon.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=7.0

6/4- Planned rest day to recover from what I sure hope is my last prolotherapy session. Dr. Johnson targeted the sensitive abductor area. The best news is that I have not needed any chromium in nearly a month. It is possible that it was the infected root canal, not the ADHS, that caused the dependency by robbing my body of key nutrients. I need 10 miles tomorrow. It will be either easy long or a double with evening speed work depending on how I feel. Next week will be just as hot. There must be some relief ahead. It can't be like this all summer.

6/5- Lakeshore 10 just as planned at 6:30 AM. By the time I finished, it was already 80 degrees with 80% humidity. I wisely took 3 extended drink stops but finished with a pretty solid moving time of 77:50 (7:47 avg). Even pace. 1st 9 miles were all 7:42-7:54 with a mild pick up at the end. Final quarter mile was sub-7 pace. Solid effort.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=10.0

Weekly summary:
Hit the mileage target as planned. I'm averaging just over 40 per week on the year, which would put me over 2,000 for the first time in a calendar year. Doing 40 this week was a challenge due to heat, prolotherapy, travel and recovery from a hard race effort. Only downer was that I only had one high quality session and even that was abbreviated. Must do more speed now.
Distance=40.0/GPA= 24.8/8=3.10

No comments: