Monday, February 11, 2013

Training 2/11-2/17

2/11- Another modest improvement.  5 miles nearly all out in 35:21 (7:04 pace).  Considering that I have been under 32 minutes 3 times at this distance, this sucks.  Yesterday, I was done after 3 in 20:48.  Today, I came through 3 in 20:37 then hung on for a 7:24 and a 7:20 (easy pace @ hard effort).  Adjustment #5 on the year will come tomorrow when I cut out the copper completely.  Today, I took the equivalent of 1/2 pill with a protein bar. 1st half: 17:01, 2nd half: 18:20.  That sucked too.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=5.0

2/12- Interesting day.  I felt flat out AWFUL all day at work.  I knew the problem.  Simply cutting out the copper was not enough.  I had to go back to Vitamin C.  I am low in both.  Symptoms of the more severe imbalance will predominate.  Both are required to synthesize dopamine, adrenaline and serotonin so that explains the depression.  First attempt to run was only 200 meters almost all out in 52 seconds.  I drank some OJ and was down to 47.5 seconds so I went home and popped some Vitamin C.  Finished another 5 mile test and my time was down to 34:12 (6:50 pace).  That's just under 1:30 pace for a half and if I had gone out conservatively, I may have held it for 6.5.  Ugly splits again.  1st half: 16:39, 2nd half: 17:33.  No cause for celebration.  I am still a distressing :30/mile shy of PR form. At least I know what to do if I have problems with Vitamin C.  From now on, I will take pre-emptive action on race week to prevent a sudden shift on the weekend.  As for the copper, if I get into balance, my risk of copper deficiency will diminish.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.5

2/13- I need to tweak a few things but I am on the right track.  4 days out from the race and I think I can expect a "decent" showing.  I'll consider this one my tempo on the week.  5 mile test run again and my time is down to 33:23 (6:41 pace). Cut off another 49 seconds.   Splits are evening up as well.  1st half: 16:25, 2nd half: 16:58.  35 of the 49 came in the 2nd half.  Copper must be kept to a minimum.  Instead of increasing C if I feel a little off, I will cut the Thym-Adren.  Copper is nearly as toxic this week as C was last week.  When the thymus substance comes next week, I may be able to reduce the Thym-Adren significantly.  The remainder of the week will be 2 days off then just a few strides on Saturday.  Sunday's weather looks to be clear and cold.  Passed 250 miles on the year.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=5.5

2/14- Planned rest day #1.  I HATE VALENTINE'S DAY!  There I said it.  This year is especially painful because I don't feel like I'm any closer to fixing this than I was 3 years ago.  I don't want to hurt anyone with my mood swings or get hurt myself by someone who doesn't understand.

2/15- Planned rest day #2.  I have no choice but to increase the Vitamin C.  I fear that my excitatory neurotransmitters may be low again (adrenaline, dopamine) and I sure hope that C is all I need for that.  I REALLY don't want to have to go back to tyrosine because that would neutralize the Thym-Adren.  Not real confident 2 days out from race day.  Dreamed that I took a wrong turn on my home course, cut through a smokey bar, ran over 2 extra miles and finished in 1:55.

Update: Not a good day.  Stiffness in my knees again and I attribute that to the protein bar.  Will it clear in time?  I'm having to do everything that I did last time that caused the copper deficiency to flare up.  Thymus substance has arrived but I'm afraid to make any real changes so close to race day.

2/16- 1 mile junk run on Wisteria.  Did not feel well.  It's hard to predict anything but it sure is not looking good for tomorrow.  I can still get a win this week with an "A-" tomorrow.
Grade:None/0 credit/distance=1.0

2/17- Sucked as expected.  Barely finished the Mercedes half in a time of 1:38:31 (7:32 pace).  I was doing okay through Mile 6 then the wheels came off.  I would have dropped out if I had fallen off 2 miles earlier.  I looked so bad at Mile 10 that a volunteer asked me if I was okay.  I said "No, but I can finish safely."  I made no effort at all in the last 5K.  I just wanted it to be over.  I won't even bother with writing a full report but I will list my splits here:
6:42-6:42-6:56-6:49-7:07-6:58/ (41:14 @ Mile 6) just a hair off 1:30 pace.
7:20-7:34-7:34-8:02 (71:44 @ Mile 10) still on pace for a 1:34
8:15-8:49-8:57-52.  Wanted to walk but did not. Last 5K was a pitiful 26:53.
Grade:D+/4 credits/distance=14.0

Weekly summary:
The only good that I can think of about this week is that since it's my 3rd straight loss, based on my history, I am due for a win next week.  The thymus substance appears to be effective but the formula will have to be tweaked.  With less copper, the need for Vitamin C should decrease, which is good.
I have dropped under 3.0 on the year.
Distance=31.0/GPA= 14.6/8= 1.83(lowest of the year)
YTD: 268 miles.  Record: 4-3.  Cum GPA= 2.85

No comments: