Monday, February 18, 2013

Training 2/18-2/24

2/18- HORRIBLE!  5.5 mile recovery run with Kelly.  I did enjoy the company even though I felt like total crap.  I did not time it but the pace was said to be near 9 minutes and my legs could barely even handle that.  By contrast, I can usually handle an 8 minute pace the day after a half.  Formula today was 4 Thym-Adren and 2 Thymus which will not work.  It will have to be one or the other.  I'm going with the Thymus because it does not contain copper, just the glandular substance.  On the day after a race, I will never give myself less than a "C" that's what I get today.  I'm sending in my hair sample tomorrow.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.5

2/19- AM- I sure hope that last night was the low point.  I had a terrible night complete with a panic attack, injury fear (pain just below ankle) and a nightmare involving a bizzare professor and extended unemployment while living near New Orleans (not a fan of that city either).  Since I switched to all Thymus (7th adjustment of 2013), I'm taking no copper and thus have no need for Vitamin C.  Woke up early with no alarm and went out and ran 1 mile before work in a pathetic time of 6:26.0.  Effort was 90-95%.  The only good news is that the ankle pain does not appear to be an injury.  I will run again this evening.  No grade this morning.

PM- Dare I say that help is on the way?  Easy 5 in 37:41 (7:32 pace).  Not good by any stretch but certainly an improvement over 12 hours ago.  Legs and ankle were sore but the body was fairly comfortable.  1st half: 18:38, 2nd half: 19:03 so it was a mild fade but too severe.  It is a victory that the Thymus appears to be effective. I am off both copper and Vitamin C as of tomorrow.   Back in '09, I had a problem with zinc and chromium inhibiting each other.  I quit both of them and it worked.  Need to get the sugar consumption back down too and need a good night sleep tonight without a bizarre dream.
Grade:B-/1 credit/distance=6.5

2/20-  Forget what I said about maybe getting better.  I slept 10 hours last night, which seemed to help.  I felt awful when I woke up but that's not unusual after a night off without the pills.  I took 1 Thymus and got a little better then took 2 more pills and got MUCH WORSE!  I am ready to declare the Thymus plan to be a failure.  That leaves me with no other option except the Thym-Adren and Vitamin C.  So here comes my 8th adjustment in as many weeks: Switch to Ester-C, which is supposedly better for fast oxidizers than ascorbic acid.  Take as much as I need and not worry about a potential copper deficiency until it comes up.  Again, I can take pre-emptive action to prevent a flare up on a race day.  I will probably take my planned rest day or junk workout this evening rather than try to do a real workout and probably get an "F" on the day.  Either way, I'm probably looking at my 4th consecutive loss unless I can get a miracle turnaround by the weekend.

Note to my readers:  Some of you may be disappointed in my attitude as of late but my response is that this blog is designed to show a day to day picture of life with chemical instability and sometimes it ain't pretty.  I refuse to sugarcoat it.  IT SUCKS!

Another thought on the race:  I was still good enough for 24th in my age group out of nearly 200 but that doesn't make me feel any better.  My pace was nearly a minute per mile slower than my capability.  It would be like Usain Bolt struggling to break 11 seconds in the 100 meters.  He'd still be very fast in comparison with the average person but if you were to see him lose to a high school kid, you'd know something was wrong.

PM- 1 mile Trak Shak loop in a blistering 8:30.7.  I could not go much faster.  At least this gives me a base to track improvement from here.  I threw the Thymus in the trash and blew $57 on it.  I expect to be better tomorrow.  I picked up some Ester-C at the store.  The ankle is still sore but it's no worse when running.  May need a shot of prolo for this.  Oh joy!  This counts as my rest day so it won't hurt the GPA but it goes on my record as an "F"
Grade:F/0 credits/distance=1.0

2/21- AM.  2 miles hard in a time of 14:50 (7:25 pace) with a significant negative split (7:34/7:16).  That's still BAAAUHD!  I should be well under 12 minutes at a hard effort.  1st day on Ester-C with the Thym-Adren.  I will run again in the evening.

PM- Once again, I was baaaauhd!  4 miles indoors in a lame 30:52 (7:43 pace).  1st half was 14:44, 2nd half was 16:08.  The wall hit me at Mile 3 and it felt pretty much like Mile 23.  Better than yesterday but that is faint praise.  I'm going to lose my 4th in a row and I'm not out of the woods yet with the ankle soreness.
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=6.0

2/22- Last chance to do a "tempo" and it was a very weak effort.  Nearly all out effort yielded a time of 35:58 for 5 miles (7:12 pace).  That's a good marathon pace but for a tempo, I should be 6:30 or better so this was very poor.  However, it was a significant improvement over yesterday.  I would have been well over 39 yesterday.  Today, I broke 36.  I attribute this improvement to reducing the Thym-Adren from 8 pills to 6.  Why am I trending down again?  Is it because I am getting closer to balance or do I have a another deficiency?  I'll find out in about 3 weeks.  I think I have ruled out neuro deficiencies and I do think that I am getting enough C.  Above 7:00 pace on a tempo is normally unacceptable but I'm lenient with the grade because of the improvement.  Added a mile cool.
Grade:C-/2 credits/distance=6.0

2/23- Slept in and ran solo.  Many Gnomes were racing this weekend anyway.  I was unsure of how I would perform.  Lakeshore 10 at moderate effort in a time of 77:21 (7:44 pace).  I stayed with 6 Thym-Adren pills and took extra Vitamin C and was still sluggish.  May try for 5 tomorrow.  I'm okay with going as low as 3 but no lower.  I tried a drink that contained tyrosine and had a negative reaction so I'm 90% sure that I'm okay neurologically.  Overall, this was a fair performance.
Grade:C+/2 credits/distance=10.0

2/24- Felt horrible in the morning because the tyrosine was still in my system.  I was willing to endure another rough day to rule out neurological problems.  Felt a bit better by the afternoon.  3 miles on Wisteria in a time of 23:48 (7:56 pace).  Very poor.

Run #2- 2 miles in 14:24 (7:12 pace) so that takes me up to 5 on the day in an overall time of 38:12 (7:38 avg).  That's still quite lame but run #2 was noticeably better.
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly summary:
I managed to beat last week's GPA and managed decent mileage but was once again under 2.  This is one of my worst slumps on record.  To meet my training goal for the year, I need to go 34-8 the rest of the way.  The next race on the calendar is the Silver Comet 10K in 2 weeks.  That is looking doubtful.  If the medical report is not much better, I will have no idea why I am trending down.
Distance=40.0/ GPA= 15.7/8= 1.96
YTD:  308 miles.  Record: 4-4, Cum. GPA = 21.90/8= 2.74

2 comments:

Yo Momma Runs said...

How often do you have your hair tested?

I hope you can find a good balance soon. I've been off sugar recently, and when I have some (like yesterday after the race), I have crazy dreams.

Crazy J said...

As of now, I've been doing the hair test every 3 months. It doesn't always correlate with how I feel but is often predictive of future issues. Check out my Most Bizarre Dreams post on the side.