Monday, April 28, 2014

Training 4/28-5/4

4/28- First run on the reduced Thym-Adren and Moly-Cu dosage.  5 miles on HWY 93 through Clemson and Central, South Carolina in a time of 38-flat (7:36 pace).  This route was my old favorite in my days as a student there.  No real complaints about this run.  Quads are still VERY sore but seemed to loosen up during and after the run.  Nice even pace over a gently rolling course.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=5.0

4/29- Took the Thym-Adren in divided doses and it was clear that 5 pills is the optimal dose right now.  I probably would not have been awful on 4 and may reduce it before Nova Scotia.  The Cal/Mag may be tweaked a bit.  Cal is responsible for muscle contractions.  Mag is responsible for muscle relaxation.  Thus, if those 2 are unbalanced, you will be sore.  As for the workout today, I attempted a tempo and was out well but faded in Mile 2.  Still too sore from the race and I seriously "mis-underestimated" how much those steep downhills would trash my quads.  Overall, not too bad however.  Gold's 3 mile in 19:44 (6:35 pace).  I wanted to do 5 but decided to salvage 3 good miles rather than see my pace slip to the 7:00 range.  Splits were 6:23-6:43-6:38.  Added a mile cool.
Grade:B/2 credits/distance=4.0

4/30- SUPERB!  Trak Shak 9 in 64:55 (7:13 pace) with a last mile in 6:41.  Woke up noticeably less sore and I credit the extra Cal.  I had been taking roughly 700 mg of Cal and 750 Mag.  I've bumped the Cal up to 950.  I could go as high as 1200 but no higher.  Thym-Adren remains at 5 but could drop to 4 soon.  I believe my tissue sodium is around 55 now and will be 40 by next month.  Lots of potential for further improvement.
Grade:A+/1 credit/distance=9.0

5/1- A little wired/tired today but I have done a lot of quality this week.  Formula is probably good now but I do want to try to bump up the Cal one last time just to see what happens.  Now is the time to experiment.  I leave for Nova Scotia in 2 weeks and have got to be sure it's good.  I think I can run 1:32 or 1:33 if everything breaks in my favor.  Today's workout was 12x200 in Mountain Brook in sets of 6.  Very consistent splits.  No slower than 35.5 and my best was #12 at 32.0.  Averaged about 34.7 (4:37 pace) and added a warm and cool.  Solid performance.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=3.0

5/2- Planned rest day.  Feel good enough to run.
PM- I'll have a better idea tomorrow but I don't think extra Cal hurt me.  It may have helped but I still clearly need 5 Thym-Adren.

5/3- EXCELLENT!  14 miles with the fast Gnomes in a time of 1:41:06 (7:13 pace) after a slow start.  Last 11 miles were all sub-7:20 and the fastest was Mile 14 at 6:51 going slightly uphill.  Route was somewhat hilly as well. Added a full mile cool.  I have clinched my 3rd win in a row.  I enjoy this group a lot not just because they make me push but also they talk about running rather than their spouses and kids all the time.  I can actually join the conversation.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=15.0

5/4- Mountain Brook 5 miler on a bit of a different route.  Sunny with temps in the upper 70s at 10-11 AM after church but fortunately low humidity.  This will probably be the last time that I can run this time of day until Fall.  Finished with a time of 36:25 (7:17 pace) and felt fine.  Barely a trace of leg soreness after yesterday's effort.  Only irritation was stomach cramps again.  I've discovered that protein bars with copper solve the diarrhea issues.  Perhaps doing so will slow down the elimination symptoms.  An early pit stop was the only reason for the minus today.  Added a mile cool.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=6.0

Weekly summary:
I am heating up.  This was probably my most impressive win of the year.  I'd like to see a better showing on the interval and tempo but I sure finished strong.  I've pulled even with last year's pace and barring a severe injury, it's a pretty safe bet that I will top 17 wins this year.
Distance= 42.0/ GPA= 31.6/9= 3.51 (highest since 2012)
YTD: 576 miles.  Record: 8-9 with a 2.63 GPA

No comments: