Monday, May 5, 2014

Training 5/5-5/11

5/5- AM- No issues with delayed onset muscle soreness.  Gold's 5 in 36:13 (7:15 pace) with nice even splits (7:11-7:17).  Strong.  Maybe a junk run this evening but I want to save myself for a speed session tomorrow.
PM- Naked 2.5 mile junk run on Wisteria with a few traffic stops.  Sunny and 85 but still low humidity.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.5

5/6- END OF SOCCER SEASON!  TRACKS ARE OPEN!  Salazar 300s at Vestavia.  Good to see Johnny again though I did not run his workout.  It was the usual 10 reps in sets of 5.  Consistent splits again.  No faster than 55.1 and no slower than 57.9 with an average of 56.0  That's an improvement over the 56.8 that I did last time.  Closed with a 200 in 33.9 and added a half mile warm and cool.  Total time for the 2 miles worth of intervals was 9:53 (4:57 pace).  That's solid but not stellar.  Considering the improvement in my GA pace, I expected my intervals to improve faster.  I will aim for a pace a bit slower tomorrow at the Shak and will probably do the 7.5 loop.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=3.0

5/7- STRONG.  Trak Shak 7.5 in 55:27 (7:24 pace).  Nice job.  Pleasant 80 degree evening with low humidity.  Pace slowed just a tad in the back half.  Stomach held up during the run but got an attack afterwards.  Looking for a tempo tomorrow.
Grade:A-/1 credit/distance=7.5

5/8- Just realized that I have not had a collapse in 4 weeks.  YES!  Today, I was down a bit with a mild virus.  Doesn't seem to be anything more than a head cold.  My throat was killing me during the day and the sneezing is starting to come now but outside of that, I felt pretty good.  I figure that tomorrow will be as bad as it gets.  Believe it or not, I was pretty solid today.  Gold's 3 mile tempo in 19:07* (6:22 pace) plus a Mile cool.  I did stop at the water fountain at the halfway point as a precaution but I don't think it made much difference.  Splits were 6:21-6:27-6:19.  This translates to a 19:50 5K and I believe I can run 19:30ish with no viral infection and fresh legs.  This cold is a 5 day problem and my attitude is SO WHAT?  I'll be ready in plenty of time for Nova Scotia.
Grade:B+/2 credits/distance=4.0

5/9- Planned rest day.  Sneezing and runny nose today.  Throat pain has diminished.  Legs and lungs are plenty strong enough for a standard issue run.  Weather is iffy tomorrow so we'll see.

5/10- WORRIED NOW!  Day 3 of the cold, which may actually be a touch of the flu.  I have a dry hacking cough and chills today.  I did attempt to run today but quit after a Mile in 8:30.  I will see a doctor if I am not better by tomorrow.  EDIT:  This feels like a sinus infection.  Only a doctor can tell if it's viral or bacterial.
Grade:F/1 credit/distance=1.0

5/11- No need to see a doctor.  I am nearly 100% sure that it is viral.  I just have to let it run its course and I expect to be okay for Nova Scotia in 7 days.  Today was much better than yesterday's debacle.  3x1 Mile progression style at Gold's.  Splits were 7:52-7:31-7:05 with generous rest periods.  Did not want to push any harder than this and risk a relapse. If it were bacterial, I'd be getting worse every day.   Overall time was 22:28 (7:29 pace) for the intervals.  Should be up for a standard issue run by tomorrow.
Grade:C-/1 credit/distance=3.0

Weekly summary:
I'm never happy with a loss but in this circumstance (viral infection), I can accept it because it had nothing to do with my chemistry issues.  7:15 pace is too hard for easy days with my current fitness and I will back off to 7:30 ish until I am in BQ shape.  Still, I don't think it had anything to do with this sickness.  I likely just caught a bug, which happens to everybody.  I do know that copper imbalances can weaken the immune system.  I am due for a hair test in about 4 weeks and expect to see considerable improvement.
Distance=26.0/ GPA= 22.1/8= 2.76
YTD: 602 miles/ Record: 8-10 with a 2.63 GPA

No comments: