Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Final Ferritin Re-Test

Cardiologists want to see Ferritin in the 20-50 range but most agree that a lab value below 100 is not a serious problem.  I have tested as high as 248 in the past and was 186 before the blood donation.  That is not quite in the danger zone yet but if I had continued to allow it to creep higher, I could be over 300 by age 45, which would put me at increased risk of cancer and heart disease.  Also, I thought perhaps it could be the explanation for the sensitivity to certain vitamins and minerals.  

I never fully bought into that because I had heard of cases much worse than mine that did NOT report similar symptoms.  Suppose my lab value was over 500 or at worst over 1,000.  That could explain some pretty severe symptoms.  A value just under 200?  Not so much.  Still, I never doubted that getting this number closer to ideal would benefit my health overall.  My first re-test 12 days after the first donation was a disappointing 176 but I was assured by Morley Robbins and others that it takes time for it to come down and that I get tested again 6-8 weeks after a 2nd donation.   I was hoping to see a result below 100.

Ferritin was the only thing tested this time around.  I’m not worried about the other ones and will not pay more money for other re-tests that are not far from ideal.  The results:  DRUMROLL PLEASE: 75!!   YES! YES!  YES!  Iron Overload is almost completely gone.  New supplements that I considered such as IP-6 will not be necessary.  This allows me to save money and cabinet space.   I will continue to donate blood 2-3 times per year for preventative maintenance. 

Though Ferritin can fluctuate, with a current value of 75, odds are that my level has been below 100 for at least 3-4 weeks yet the sensitivity remained.  Once again, it was ABSOLUTELY in my best interest to lower my Ferritin and take care of the Iron overload BUT it also proves once and for all that it was NOT the smoking gun that explained the sensitivity.  It’s looking like a pretty safe bet that the Syntol Probiotics are the key.  With the increased tolerance that kicked in last weekend, my long-term prognosis is looking better and better.

Edit: Morley says the lowered Iron increased the effectiveness of the probiotics.  I don't doubt it.  At the end of the day, I don't care what the magic bullet is so long as I find it.  Looking like I have.  It is quite probable that with high Iron, probiotics would not be effective.  Therefore, lowered Ferritin was a necessary but not sufficient condition for my recovery.

No comments: