Monday, October 9, 2017

Training 10/9-10/15

10/9-AM- Day off work for Columbus Day.  Went to the lab to get my Ferritin re-tested.  Hoping for a value below 100 but I'll take a sub-150.  Headed to Gold's for some intervals with Syntol.  Did 4x1 mile with 2 pills during each interval.
0 pills- 7:56
2 pills- 7:29
4 pills- 7:02
6 pills- 6:40
Each time, the level of effort was in the moderate range.  The first mile was really a struggle and I knew it as soon as I started.  Mile 2 was better but it wasn't until Mile 3 that I began feeling well.  All of this was fully expected.  The moment of truth came when I attempted the 4th interval on 6 pills.  It was not as dramatic but a significant improvement nonetheless.  I may get SLIGHT benefit from going to 8 pills but I will stick with 6 because these pills are quite expensive.  I do expect my need will go back down within a couple of months.

All in all, this is EXCELLENT NEWS!  On my product review post, I was "unnerved" by the fact that 2 pills left me weakened and the tolerance had not kicked in yet.  Well, the tolerance has most definitely kicked in now.  I had feared that I would soon develop a complete intolerance to Syntol as I did the glycine.  This development has eased those fears considerably.

PM- Just wanted to see how I'd do on 2 more Syntol pills.  I got slight stomach discomfort but other than that, I was fine.  Moderate 5 miles at Gold's in 36:15 (7:15 pace) plus a cool.  I was working a bit towards the end but kept the pace even (18:05-18:10).  I'm still going to stick with 6 going forward and hope that dose will eventually come down.  Will it leave me less dependent on adrenal and methylation support?  I predict that I'll always need both but eventually will be able to get away with a day or two of missed doses.
Grade:A/2 credit/distance=10.0

10/10- Easy 5 in 37:22 (7:28 pace).  Felt good overall.  Slowed just a tad on the back half and I had to work to keep pace in Mile 4.  1st half-18:36, 2nd half-18:46.

PM- 2 mile junk run.  Legs and joints are a bit sore but the energy level remains very high.
Grade A-/1 credit/distance-7.0

10/11- Planned rest day.  Legs are sore but the body has enough energy to keep going.  Somebody on a health forum said probiotics can increase testosterone.  I would not be surprised if that's true based on the way I've been feeling.  If you did not read the latest post, my Ferritin tested at 75, which is excellent news.  Looking for a fast tempo tomorrow.

10/12- Hard 3 mile.  I was shooting for a sub-20 and finished in 19:56 (6:39 pace).  Remarkably even splits.  Legs went dead just before 2 miles and never thought I could maintain it but somehow I did.
Grade:A-/2 credit/distance-4.0

10/13- Pretty sore today.  This week's volume and intensity is catching up to me now.  Workout was 4 miles on Lakeshore in a time of 30:32 (7:38 pace).  Took off at 7:30 then smartly backed off to the 7:45 range.  Still not bad but this does end the streak of "A" workouts.
Grade:B/1 credit/distance=4.0

10/14- 11 miles from O'Henry's in 89:27 (8:08 pace).  A bit of a downer but it was essentially the same as last week.  Faded in Mile 5 but once again, held it together and prevented it from becoming too ugly.  Not much left at the end however.  Really should do better than this and it was somewhat disappointing but I believe it was simply over-reaching with the training.  Nothing more.  This is good enough to clinch a win this week and I'll have a steep taper next week.
Grade:B-/2 credit/distance=11.0

10/15- Easy 5 on Lakeshore in 43:30 (8:42 pace).  I was shooting for 8:00 pace but had no gas in the tank.  I believe it was a combination of cumulative fatigue and too much glutathione.  A reaction because of a pill again?  I'm not worried about it at all because I took a large dose to finish the bottle.  As I've said before, a little bit of sensitivity is actually a good thing because it lets you know when you are off the formula.  I still believe the probiotics are effective.  Without them, I could not have finished 2 miles let alone 5.  Pace was relatively even and HR was low (145).
Grade:D+/1 credit/distance=5.0

Weekly Summary:
A nice win in spite of the shaky weekend.  Race is next weekend and I actually expect to do fairly well this time.
Distance= 41.0/ GPA= 3.20
YTD: 1188 miles.  10-29 with a 2.17 GPA

No comments: