Monday, October 23, 2017

Training 10/23-10/29

10/23- Planned rest day.  Well deserved.

10/24- AM-Junk run.  Totaled 1 mile.  Much worse after taking Cal and Vitamin C and only slightly better after Zinc BUT glycine helped.  Wary of taking more than 1 of those pills.

PM- 2 mile junk run at Veteran's Park.  3 times around the lake in 17:44 (8:52 pace).  This was an improvement over the morning session.  Stay tuned for a detailed update post.
Grade:D/1 credit/distance=3.0
Short update:
As it appears now, the only chance to resolve the sensitivity is with glycine, which I cannot tolerate if taken regularly.  There has GOT TO BE a way to tolerate it.  I was once intolerant to methyl folate but TMG took care of that.

10/25- WORSE!  3 miles at Gold's in 28:57 (9:39 pace).  Barely made it through the day at work.  I have several options to improve my tolerance to glycine and the first one (PABA) shows promise early.  Other options include a precursor, ATP or extra methyl folate.  More detailed post coming by the end of the week.
Grade:D-/1 credit/distance=3.0

10/26-AM- 3x3 lap intervals at Gold's starting with 500 mg PABA and no glycine:
Opener- 3:02 (9:06 pace)
500 glycine- 2:38 (7:54 pace)  MINUS 72
1000 glycine- 2:16 (6:48 pace) MINUS 66

PM- Took another 1000 glycine after lunch at work and was significantly worse immediately.
3x1 mile intervals this time:
2000 glycine/500 PABA- 8:20
2000 glycine/1000 PABA- 8:17- INSIGNIFICANT
2500 glycine/1000 PABA- 9:20- FAR WORSE
Grade:C/1 credit/distance=4.0
Reaction:
Lenient grade because I learned a LOT.  PABA WILL INDEED ALLOW ME TO TOLERATE GLYCINE AND THUS SOLVE THE SENSITIVITY!  YES YES YES!  However, there is a ceiling of how much glycine can be tolerated and extra PABA will NOT raise it.  That ceiling is likely somewhere between 1000-2000 mg right now.  There is a chance that could change if I add more MF, take a precursor or ATP.  1000 mg of glycine is DEFINITELY sufficient to knock out the sensitivity and I may even get by with 500.  Will glycine make me faster?  I don't know but as I've said many times, I'm willing to trade some speed for stability.

10/27- 3 miles in 22:46 (7:35 pace) plus a half mile cool.  Even splits and much improved over yesterday but the glycine dosage (1500) was still too high.  It's possible that I'm still recovering from yesterday's 2500.  I'll go with 1500 tomorrow as well but if I'm not significantly better than today, it's down to 1000.  I sure hope it stays there.  The sweet spot MUST remain constant.  Overall, not too bad but in a hard day, I don't think I could have broken 22 and felt too sluggish.
Grade:B/ 1 credit/distance=3.5

10/28- Skipped the group run as planned.  It was cold, dark and rainy anyway.  Same 3 miler as yesterday on the same 1500 dosage.  My time was down to 21:56 (7:19 pace) with even splits again.  Nice improvement over yesterday but still not good enough.

 I attribute the improvement to clearance of the 2500 that I took 2 days ago.  On a stable 1500 dosage, I probably won't see much further improvement.  I've done a sub-20 recently so I should be south of 21 every single time (5% variability allowance).  Today, I barely broke 22.  The sweet spot is somewhere between 1000 and 1500.  It certainly could be 1000 and I hope so because I won't have to cut the pills in half if that's the case.  They come in 500 so if it's 1250, I will have to estimate.

Any chance to widen the range or increase tolerance from 1250-1500?  Maybe.  Taking a precursor or increasing MF could make a difference.  ATP could make me faster by increasing my cardio capacity but it seems unlikely to affect the sweet spot for glycine.  Today, once again, my legs hurt but I was not even close to being spent in terms of cardio.  HR was only 144.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=3.5

PM- No more running today but I have learned that extra MF will NOT increase tolerance to glycine.  Felt no better after taking an extra 5 mg and just half of an extra glycine made it WORSE.  Threonine is the only way now but even if it doesn't work, a rigid dose requirement is FAR better than the alternative.

10/29- Another chilly morning but this time, I was outside for 4 miles on Lakeshore in 31:44 (7:56 pace).  Not horrible but a bit of a downer.  Opened with 1000 glycine and ran the extension in 11:30 (7:40 pace) but didn't feel all that great in doing so.  Took approximately 300 more and slipped to 20:14 on the last 2.5 (8:06 pace).  This tells me the sweet spot is most probably 1000 but I want to take another shot at 1200-1300 because I took 1700 yesterday.  Threonine could make a difference but if it doesn't, I'm okay with it.  I will NOT have to break pills in half to hit the sweet spot and if I accidentally take 1 too many of those pills, I will be weakened but still able to handle a standard issue workout.  HR was only 132 today, which is MUCH too low even for a slower pace.  Again, the more out of whack I am, the lower it tends to be.  ATP will be ordered.

PM- No more running today but after taking additional probiotics, I felt more energized with more of a spring in my steps.  I thought I didn't need high dose Syntol after it became ineffective in treating the sensitivity but apparently, I still do and I'm okay with it.  I expect that in time, my need will diminish.
Grade:C+/1 credit/distance=4.0

Distance= 21.0/ GPA= 2.05
YTD: 1239 miles.  10-31 with a 2.18 GPA


No comments: