Saturday, December 30, 2017

2017 Year in Review

Final Training Stats:
14 wins and 36 losses with an average weekly GPA of 2.23.  Total distance was 1505 miles.  All 3 measures were my best since 2014.  I didn't even keep track of won loss records in 2015 and 2016 but if I had, I know for sure that I did not win 14 combined in '15 and '16.  If this had been an NFL season, I would rate 2015 as 1-15 and 2016 as 2-14.  For 2017, I'll call it 4-11-1.

Racing Record:
Here, I had mostly good luck overall and showed some consistency.  All 7 races were halfway decent performances and good experiences overall.  I fell short of the 21/45/1:40 goals but not by much and did manage to set post-35 PRs at 5K, 10K and the Half marathon while picking up 4 new states.  I am now at 32 and my projected year to complete all 50 is either 2021 or 2022.
5K: 21:14- 5K at the Junction- Birmingham, Alabama
10K: 45:40- Coke 10K- Corinth, Mississippi
 Half: 1:42:24- Magic City- Birmingham, Alabama

First Quarter- 1-11 with a 1.88 GPA
The first 2 months of the year looked to be no better than the last 2 years.  I struggled with methylation issues as well as intolerance to sulfur and B-vitamins.  Eventually, I solved these issues by upping my molybdenum and taking stand alone B-12 (hydroxy or adenosyl) along with a B-complex that included just a TRACE of PABA, which solved the sensitivity to methyl folate.  Too much would cause other problems.  My only win of the quarter came courtesy of a memorable trip to New York City.  I just missed a post-35 PR with a 1:46 half but did set an unofficial mark in the 10K en route.

Second Quarter- 4-9 with a 2.26 GPA
Definitely showed improvement here but I was still struggling with the B-12 and Ultimate B most of this quarter.  Tried a few other treatments with fleeting success.  Performed well when it counted however.  Scored an official post-35 PR in Miss'Sippy at the 10K distance and turned it into a nice day trip to Memphis.  The highlight was the Epic Road Trip in June, which included half marathons in 1:45 and 1:44 despite altitude.  I saw Teton, Yellowstone, Calgary, Banff, Yoho and Glacier all within 8 days.

Third Quarter- 3-9 with a 2.18 GPA
Blood donation and its after-effects dominated the headlines in this quarter.  Whole Food Vitamin C was both a savior and a nightmare and it switched all of a sudden.  In the end, I did get my Iron regulation numbers back down close to where they should be.  I don't doubt that it was beneficial for my overall health but it was not the answer for the sensitivity.  There were no races, which is not a bad idea during the peak of the Alabama summer.  I did consider a couple local events but ultimately bailed without signing up.  Travel included a couple nice weekend trips to the Gulf Coast beaches in FLA but nothing major.

Fourth Quarter- 6-7 with a 2.58 GPA
Added Syntol probiotics to my cocktail, which proved to be a good call.  I believe that I have finally found the proverbial smoking gun.  It is elevated benzoic acid, which is exacerbated by an ATP deficit, which in turn is inter-related to gut health.  I believe I have a path to recovery IF I can avoid the need to take stand alone PABA (Para Amino Benzoic Acid).  Gut health could be the key but Myers' Anti-microbial supplement was too strong and not for long-term use.  Because of this, I ended the year on a sour note with 3 bad losses in the last 4 weeks after it looked like I was headed for a winning record.  One way or the other, I will get resolution and this time, it's for sure.  In terms of racing, it was a success.  I survived a hamstring scare to finish in 1:49 at altitude in New Mexico then came through with back to back PRs in local races at the Junction and Magic City.

2018 Plans:
My best hope is that the need for PABA will not flare up again.  Myers' product will work in the regard but it is becoming increasingly clear that it is not an option because it is too strong.  If PABA does flare up, Berberine is probably my only hope.  If I cannot shake the PABA issues, I am done.  Yes, I'll still run occasionally and still hope to finish all 50 states but the training updates shut down.
Spring Destination- Epic New England trip with races in Massachusetts and Vermont
Summer Destination- Upper Midwest with Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Fall- Not sure on this one.  Leaning towards either Utah or Michigan.  I can do the latter with little time off work.

Training Goals:
I want a record of .500 or better with 1750 miles and I'd like to do it with fewer double workouts.  A single 6 mile run is better for me than a double 3 miler.  If I can do that, I will be well into the respectable range.





No comments: