Monday, September 10, 2018

Training 9/10-9/16

9/10- Vestavia Mile in 6:41.1 (MINUS 49) plus a half mile cool.  Best time of the year and 6 seconds better than last week's best.  Got out a little faster today but once again slipped into a rut early.  From 200-1200, I was only slightly better than 7:00 pace but finished in 91 (6:04 pace) on the last go round.  There is still room for improvement but the rate will be much slower once I get down around 6:20.  Then, I'll just chip away a few seconds at a time  BARRING MORE RELAPSES!!

PM- Canterbury 4 in 31:19 (7:50 pace) plus a half mile cool.  Even splits despite hilly route but since the back half is mostly down, I should see negative splits.  Still, not bad.  This was significantly better than yesterday at both distances.  I'd say this translates to about 39 flat if not better on the mostly level Lakeshore 5 route.
Distance=6.0

UPDATE on DC:
I keep going back and forth.  As of now, I think I've got about a 50/50 chance of finishing under 2 hours but the last 5 miles will be VERY TOUGH even with an ultraconservative start.  I do think I have a chance at improvement in the next 5 days so if I am to go, I will suck it up and run the half.  The race does offer a deferral for just $30 but I've booked a non-refundable flight and hotel and really don't want to eat that loss.  As for the weather, it could still go either way.  There's a chance if the hurricane hits South Carolina, it won't be so bad in DC and it might clear out by Sunday.  If it hits in Virginia, we could see Tropical Storm force winds on Saturday and the flight in will probably be cancelled anyway.  I've got another 3 days to decide and hopefully, the forecast will be known by then.

9/11- No Mountain Dew today for the first time in 4 days.  Withdrawal was not as severe as Red Bull but unpleasant nonetheless.  I was wired/tired much of the afternoon.  When it was time to run, I kept it respectable for 2 miles then died.  I would have been better if I drank a can but that would have only delayed the symptoms.   I can handle an occasional Dew on.a cheat day but don't make a habit of it or I face withdrawal.  That's what I figured but I had to know. Red Bull or Rockstar?  I'm never touching that stuff again.
Distance=3.0

Weather Update:
At least for DC, the forecast has taken a turn for the better.  It appears that NC will get the worst of it then it will turn northwest towards West Virginia.  There's just a chance of scattered showers over the weekend.  I'm going.  I'm still intending to try the half because if nothing else, it will be good training for Nebraska and Detroit.  If I'm hurting, I can still downgrade at the expo the day before.

9/12- Planned rest day

9/13- CRASH.  Didn't know what was wrong but figured out I needed extra Paramin.  That's right.  Just a few days ago, I could not tolerate more than 2 pills.  Now, I NEED more.
Distance=1.0

9/14- Intervals. Quarter miles at the track.
1 Paramin- 2:16
2 Paramin- 2:08
3 Paramin- 1:58
6 Paramin- 1:28
I really do not think it was any worse on 7.5 pills so my tolerance could be unlimited.  That's good news.  I will take mega doses for as long as needed and eventually, my dose will go back down.
Distance=1.5

9/15- More intervals.  Not sure of the exact distance but I'm guessing it was about 0.3 miles.  Definitely more than a quarter but less than a third.
3 Paramin- 2:34
4 Paramin- 2:23
5 Paramin- 2:18
6 Paramin- 2:19
 Not a huge difference between 4 and 5 then fared no better on 6 but essentially no worse either.  I bet if I upped it further, yes, I would have faded.  This one felt WORSE than yesterday.  I will be downgrading.  Most likely, the citrates have depleted ceruloplasmin and I need the Liver Beef, which I did not pack in my bag.  Unless I can find it in DC, even the 5 Mile race will SUCK.
Distance=1.5

9/16- Navy 5 Miler in 47:31 (9:30 pace).  Yes, that sucks but I actually feared worse based on how I felt.  Managed a rare negative split in a race.
Distance=5.0


No comments: