Monday, September 3, 2018

Training 9/3-9/9

9/3-AM- Vestavia Mile in 9:45
PM- Vestavia Mile in 9:11
Distance=2.0

9/4- AM.  Painfully obvious that Cal citrate is needed.  I would have been over 10 without it.  With it, tolerance seems to be improving.  Managed an 8:44 today for a MINUS 61 in less than 24 hours.  I was on 9 minute pace for the first 3 laps then finished with a 2:00 last lap despite holding in a diarrhea dump (detox).  Popped another pill shortly thereafter and felt a little better.  Paramin should arrive in another 2-3 days, which should be more effective at detoxing the oxalates.

PM- Another Mile this time at Hoover's forbidden track.  I sneaked in through an open gate.  In a very pleasant surprise, I was all the way down to 6:58.8 this time.  1st half: 3:31, 2nd half: 3:27 with a 1:38 last go round.  The extra Cal citrate was clearly the difference.  I expected to be under 8 but never expected to be close to 7 let alone break it.  I might still run the half in DC if I can finish my long run @ sub-9 pace this weekend.
Distance=2.0

9/5- 2 Cal citrates worked well yesterday.  3 of them caused too much of a detox reaction today.  Morning was really bad but I did get a little better as the day progressed.  Still struggled in the workout.  3 miles at Gold's in 26:43 (8:54 pace).  The Paramin may not arrive until after the weekend so I am uncertain about trying it.
Distance=3.0

9/6- AM Vestavia Mile in 6:47.1 (MINUS 11) and it all came on the back half.  Added a half mile cool.  First 3 laps were even at 1:44-1:45 then found another gear with a 92 second finish.  I believe this is my best time of the year at this distance by 3 seconds but I was hoping for a little better.  The rate of improvement is slowing and that is to be expected but I suspect that because of the detox, I'll be better if I take the citrates in the evening.  I'll do that tonight even though I may endure a rough day tomorrow.

PM- Decided to take the afternoon off.
Distance=2.0

9/7- Unplanned rest day.  Tried IP-6 and it was a disaster.  Unclear if the pill is bad for me or it's a detox reaction.  Whole Food C is still BAD even with the citrates controlling the oxalates.  Gut feeling is to downgrade in DC even if by some miracle the long run goes well this weekend.  DC is not a state so anything I do there is a bonus anyway.

PM- Decided to run a junk mile at Gold's and sucked as expected.  Time was 9:25.  Paramin arrived this evening so I took it at night.  Maybe it was my imagination but I thought I felt a tingle in my legs and felt less heavy.  I figure 2 Paramin is about the same as 2 Cal citrates.

9/8- No sudden miracle.  Improved to 8:23 at Vestavia but knew within 50 meters that I didn't have it and just did the best I could.  Pace was fairly even but did manage to dip under 2:00 in the last lap.  Popped a 3rd citrate when I got home and was clearly worse immediately.  I don't know if I am still detoxing the C and IP-6 or I can only take 1 Paramin not 2.

I looked at some of my old posts from early 2013 before I stopped the Paramin.  Even when I was winning, it was NOT all smooth sailing.  I had brutal sensitivity to copper and C BUT I was a lot better and more consistent overall.  Horrible days were few and far between and even on an off day, I could usually get through 6-7 miles at a respectable pace.  An off day back then would be a great day today.  Again, it would NOT have made a difference if I had stayed on Paramin because as the glycine conjugation got worse, I would have soon been forced off anyway.  I really don't think there is anything that I could have done to prevent this nightmare, which is extremely maddening.

PM- Interesting.  As expected, I was worse after the 3rd Paramin (2:22 for 400) but I was actually slightly BETTER (2:13) after drinking a forbidden Kickstart Energy.  No doubt that sugar and caffeine are still BAD but I may be able to get away with an occasional can of Surge or Kickstart.  Red Bull or Rockstar?  Forget it!  Added a half mile cool.  We'll see if I face withdrawal symptoms after stopping tomorrow.  I am officially downgrading in DC.

Regarding Paramin, according to my log, I did NOT stop it by choice due to ineffectiveness.  I was FORCED OFF due to intolerance.  Yes, I've had to endure a few more rough days due to use of energy drinks over the years but nothing could have made much of a difference over the long haul.
Distance=2.0

9/9- Half-assed attempt to run long.  It was clear that 2 Paramin are better than 1 but it was not a night and day difference.  The sweet spot could be 1.5 right now but the tolerance will improve with time.  I'm sure of it.  I came through the first Mile in 8:40 but my pace was already slowing to the 9 minute range and I knew it was unsustainable over the long distance.  Walked a lap then with great effort, I managed a 7:30.0 in a Mile time trial (MINUS 53)  I bet it would have been under 7:20 if fully fresh so it's been another slow climb.  Tacked on a cool for a 3 mile session.

PM- 5 miles on Lakeshore in 42:50 (8:34 pace).  About as expected.  VERY STRANGELY, drinks such as Surge and Mountain Dew are well tolerated and maybe even marginally beneficial for the time being.  The reason is that since they are citrus based, they actually help detox the oxalates.  I don't think I have experienced any withdrawal symptoms either but I won't be in the clear until tomorrow in that regard. 

As for the DC race, I'd need to last 8.1 miles longer at a pace 34 seconds slower. for a sub-2 finish  Not there yet but I don't want to give up hope.  Then again, the hurricane could make that decision for me. As of now, there is a chance of tropical storm force winds and rain next weekend.   I AIN'T going at all if the weather is going to be that bad.  I'll focus on Nebraska instead.
Distance=8.0

No comments: