Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Genetic Mutations Revisited

Quick update:
There are signs of a turnaround.  I managed 30 miles last week despite a hiccup and have opened this week with back to back 4 milers at sub-8 pace and felt pretty comfortable in doing so.  Mileage will likely be down this week because the Miami/Keys trip is a GO and I am unsure of how much I will be able to do over the weekend.

MTHFR- Homozygous on 677- This is often considered to be the worst mutation to have and it is definitely no picnic.  However, my case may be different from many others.  I have found that  Methyl Folate (5-MTH form) must be taken together with DMG (dimethyl glycine).  I need at least 800 mg of DMG, and that is an UPWARD shift. However, I can get by with a relatively low dose of MF.  In fact, as I've said before, it really doesn't matter if I take 400 mcg or 2400 mcg.  I will feel about the same and my performances will not be significantly better.

As a matter of fact, I confirmed that last point today.  Yesterday, my time was 31:12 on a low dose.  Today, it was 30:48 on a high dose.  Same time of day, same location and same effort as well.    That's a 6 second improvement per mile or roughly 1.25%.  I'll take it but it's not enough to be considered significant and well within the expected variability.  I'll keep it low.

MTR/MTRR- I am homozygous on both.  This means that I have a high demand for B-12.  My preferred forms are either hydroxyl or adenosyl but I will rotate the synthetic form with Liver Beef to maintain Zinc/Copper balance.  I must take either Liver or synthetic B-12 as a stand alone.  A B-complex won't do.  I recently forgot to take a B-12 in the morning and I was AWFUL.  Improvement came later in the day but ONLY after I took the B-12.

CBS/NOS- I am compound hetero on CBS and have one homo on NOS.  This one is tricky.  Many people have trouble with Taurine or other sulfur containing amino acids.  I've had issues in the past but at the present time, it is tolerated at least occasionally.  In fact, I was actually marginally BETTER after taking Taurine during an interval workout.  Instead, it is protein that is the thorn.  I can probably get away with an occasional protein bar for breakfast on the go.  However, if this is done with any regularity, I will require molybdenum, which is a royal pain in the ass.

First, molybdenum depletes ceruloplasmin, which is key for Copper and Iron regulation.  I'm still not convinced that there is any benefit to having a Cp level above 25 but I'd prefer it not to be depleted unless absolutely necessary.  Below 20 will most definitely be an issue.  Second, it is possible to overshoot the balance point with the moly.  I tried mega doses in response to too much protein and I was AWFUL (19 minutes for 2 miles).  I did improve as it cleared my system.  Also, it seems that caffeine will reduce both the need and tolerance for moly because it breaks down protein.  There is a chance that moly will be tolerated if I abstain from caffeine but I prefer not to mess with it.  I REALLY don't like having reactions to a single dose and thought DIM took care of that forever  BUT as long as I don't mess with the protein bars again, I SHOULD be okay. 

Couple questions:
I want to order Renamide for Kidney detox. I predict it will be a non-factor but my research leads me to believe it is worth a try.  Secondly, I have ordered TMG (Trimethyl glycine), which could be interesting.  I didn't do well on it before the DIM but that could change now.  I may find it more effective than DMG or less effective.  Also, I could do my best on some combination of the two.  I'll try it after I get back from Miami.  I've yet to see improvements in my thumb nails but it's still too early as it's only been 2 weeks since I upped the DMG.  I know I'm getting lots of toxic stuff out thanks to better methylation plus the DIM.

Prognosis:
Because of the genetic defects, I will never be free from pills again as I was for part of 2012.  I'm okay with that.  The realistic goal all along was to at least get this "UNDER CONTROL."  That means a stable cocktail every day with no sudden reactions to key pills.  Minor tweaks to the formula are allowed but must be limited to 1-2 day blips per month NOT every week.  That really should not be too much to ask.  As I've said a million times before, I can get back to respectable times with steady training.  I could be on my way.  I'll re-start the training log in February if I can make it through the rest of the month without a relapse.



No comments: