Thursday, January 3, 2019

Methylation Revisited

BIG CHANGES over the past few days and most people won't believe or understand this one.  This one is more for my reference but here it is:

Let's first take a look back at where I was before the DIM:
I needed either molybdenum or CBS/NOS caps and faced a fluctuating dosage while shooting at a moving target.  NOT fun at all.  Eventually, I realized that my protein consumption was responsible for the fluctuation.  Once I stopped eating protein bars for breakfast, I could NOT tolerate either treatment anymore.  Actually, my dose trended down gradually then settled at zero.  Now, although I still don't need it unless I do eat protein bars regularly, it does NOT hurt me if I do take it.  That's BIG!  Just as I've said many times, a single dose SHOULD NOT make a huge difference.

In terms of methylation, I had a choice because I got similar results from Sam-e and DMG.  I went with the DMG to avoid having to take a specific ratio.  When I took Sam-e, I found that I needed a specific ratio (1200-1600 methyl folate per Sam-e pill) to achieve optimal results.  I would be significantly weakened if I went down to 1000 or up to 1800.  If I went with DMG, my tolerance was limited to 200 mg (1 pill) BUT my MF dosage did not matter.  My times were not significantly different between 400 MF and 2400 MF.  The only caveat was that I needed a nucleotide product called BHMT-08 or else I could not tolerate the DMG.  Sam-e and DMG could NOT be taken together.  It had to be one or the other.

Now on the DIM,  Sam-e is tolerated but it's ineffective.  After several days in which I struggled to hit the Mendoza line and my legs felt like lead pipes by Mile 2, I found that I felt SIGNIFICANTLY better after upping my DMG dose.  Apparently my system is demanding more methylation support.  Fortunately, the MF dose still does not seem to matter.  400-2400 and it feels about the same.  I endured 2 days of ABSOLUTELY NASTY detox on January 1 and 2 but today, I was up early for some intervals.
Did 4 lappers at Gold's, which is 1/3 of a mile.
200 DMG- 2:47 (8:21 pace)
400 DMG- 2:34 (7:42 pace) MINUS 39
600 DMG- 2:13 (6:39 pace) MINUS 63
1000 DMG- 1:58 (5:54 pace) MINUS 45
It's hard to go much faster than this at the gym with the tight turns.  I probably would have been better on a standard track. Again, I did my best to keep the effort even on each interval but probably did up the ante a bit on the last 2.  At 600, I really felt a noticeable difference and I knew that I would be even better on 1000.  I did try 1200 and felt no difference.  That's good.  Extra won't hurt.  It will be a non-factor.  On 1200, I came through 2 laps in 58 and called it quits so I could log a round number for mileage (2 miles with warm/cool).  Figure, I would have repeated the 1:58 give or take 1-2 seconds.  No benefit from exceeding 1000 but no loss either.

What happens now?
Who knows?  Your guess is as good as mine.  If the methylation block has been fully opened whereas unbeknownst to me, it had only been partially opened before, that is a MAJOR problem solved.  That's good news in the long run but I may have to endure another adrenal spike and go back on the Thym-Adren temporarily.  Let's hope that doesn't happen.

As for the training log, I'm shutting it down until I see sustained improvements but I will continue with updates like this and will post monthlies with mileage totals and key workouts.

No comments: