Monday, June 22, 2020

Rave: Beach Trips

New bucket list item:
Swim in the ocean in every state.  Ideally, I want to boogie board but if the surf is flat, you can meet the standard by swimming in the ocean for at least an hour.  Simply stick your foot in the water?  Nah.  That's like crossing the border of a state then turning around at the Welcome Center.  

Washington- Even in late summer, water temps will not make it out of the 50s.  Much too cold for a swim without a wet suit.  I did stop at a random beach for a walk but all I did was dip my toes in the water.  It was windy and rainy, so I wasn’t out there very long.

Oregon- Water is not much warmer here but the beaches are much nicer, especially with the rock formations.  My choice here was Cannon Beach though once again, I only dipped my toes in the water.  I will waive the 1-hour requirement for these two because it is simply too cold to swim without a wet suit.


California- I visited Venice Beach near Los Angeles but did not even enter the water.  It was January so I had an excuse.  Here, water temperatures can hit 70 degrees in San Diego in August and September and the upper 60s in the LA area.  That’s warm enough.  I’d opt for San Diego and have plenty of choices in terms of beaches. 

Florida- I’ve been on all 3 sides of the peninsula and there are so many great beaches from which to choose.  For the northern Gulf, I’ve got to go with Destin.  On the Atlantic, you can’t beat being able to swim in Miami all year round, but I actually had more fun in Daytona.  I was in Tampa as a teenager and intend to go back but rideable waves are rare, especially in the summer.  You might have a chance in the Spring and Fall. 


Georgia- Been to St. Simon and Jekyll Islands but I prefer Tybee because of its proximity to Savannah.

South Carolina- Used to live here.  Been to Hilton Head, Charleston beaches and Myrtle Beach.  Isle of Palms, near Charleston is my favorite in SC.  It might even be my favorite Atlantic beach.

North Carolina- Been to Carolina Beach, near Wilmington.  Surf was much rougher than neighboring South Carolina, at least on this day. I’d like to visit Nags Head and the Outer Banks.  That can be combined with a trip to Virginia Beach.  It would be a 2-day drive, but Charlotte is a good stopping point.

Virginia- Been to Virginia Beach as a child and want to go back.  I’ve also had several good sessions at Chincoteague on the Delmarva Peninsula as a teenager when my sister lived in the area. 

Maryland- Ocean City is the best and most popular beach here.  If you prefer a less touristy destination, Assateague Island is also a good option.  I’ve been to both.

Delaware- Bethany Beach is just across the border from Ocean City, Maryland and is also less touristy.  I went there a couple times just for something different.  I have not been to Rehoboth.

New Jersey- I was told that I was here as a toddler but don’t remember it, so I don’t feel right about counting it even if I did go in the water.  It’s a bit too far to drive, so I’d probably fly to Philadelphia and rent a car.  Wildwood, Ocean City, Atlantic City?  Take your pick.  All 3 are within 90 minutes of Philly.

New York- I did walk on the boardwalk in Coney Island in Brooklyn but the beach was not open in early May, so I didn’t even step foot in the water.  I’ve since learned that surfing is not even allowed there so my choice must be Rockaway in Queens.  It is accessible by the subway.  Sure, I’m up for another NYC trip someday. 

Connecticut- Unfortunately, there are no waves here because it is blocked by the Long Island Sound.  I took an hour-long dip in New London’s Ocean Beach last August before heading to Rhode Island for a quality afternoon body surf session.

Rhode Island- Known as the Ocean State, you’ve got several options in a small land area.  I went with Narragansett because it was closest to Connecticut, but Newport can be fun as well.

Massachusetts- I went with Horseneck Beach on the south coast just about an hour from Boston. Lots of seaweed and a stony ocean floor but I still enjoyed my session here.  Cape Cod and Salisbury look to be better options.  I’ve been to Cape Cod, but it was too cold to swim.  Both here and Rhode Island, I found the water to be comfortably cool in early August. 

New Hampshire- Only 14 miles of coastline but you’ve got Hampton and Rye Beach.  Both look good.  It was October so all I did was walk on the beach and stick my foot in the water.  I expect the water temp to be a few degrees cooler than Massachusetts and Rhode Island (likely mid 60s in August) but that should still be tolerable for at least an hour. 

Maine- The northern coast is too cold for swimming, but the rocky beach is still worth a look just for the scenery.   Wells Beach, just across the border from New Hampshire, is the best bet for swimming and I expect that it will be no colder than beaches just a few miles south.  Yes, people do go in the water here in late summer so I will too.  I can choose an August race in Maine and can have 2 sessions in different states on the same day. 


Alabama- Under the radar for much of the country but the beaches in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach rival the beauty of neighboring Florida. 


Mississippi- Maybe I can count this because I did swim in the Sound but a short cruise to Ship Island, where rideable waves are usually accessible can be had for a reasonable price.  I plan on doing it.

Louisiana- Skip the Cajun Riviera near the Texas border and take the drive down to Grand Isle south of New Orleans.  The water doesn’t look too appealing, but it feels fine.  This is the only place in the state with rideable waves. 

Texas- Very under-rated beaches here especially further south.  I’ve been to both Galveston and South Padre and intend to visit Port Aransas. 

  
Puerto Rico- Not a state but you can’t go wrong with beaches here.  I went with Carolina in Isla Verde just outside of San Juan. 


Hawaii- TO DO!

No comments: