Friday, July 24, 2020

Revised Maine Trip Plan


There will be no epic North Atlantic road trip due to restrictions in New York and New Jersey.  That’s okay.  I’ve got a friend in Philly that I’d like to meet and though I’ve toured Yankee Stadium, it would be cool to see an actual game there.  Instead, it will be two long weekends instead of a single epic trip.  Trip number 1 will be Maine on the weekend of 8/28-9/2 (Friday-Tuesday)

There are two direct flights from Atlanta to Portland, Maine.  One departs at 2PM and the other at 7PM.  That’s cool with me.  I won’t have to spend the night in Atlanta, nor will I have to leave super early to make the flight.  I’ll take the 2PM option and arrive around 5:00.  That’s too late to go to beach or mountains so the best plan is to start driving towards Acadia NP (3 hours).  I won’t have to make it all the way there. 

Saturday- Tour Acadia NP via Park Loop Road.  One day should be sufficient.  There are really only 3 must see landmarks: Cadillac Mountain, Sand Beach and Thunder Hole over the 27-mile loop.  I’m sure I’ll stop to check out some hiking trails as well.  I’ll head back towards Portland that night but don’t have to make it all the way.  It could be really cool to catch a sunrise the next morning over a rocky coast.   

Sunday and Monday- New Hampshire beach day and Mount Washington.  It will pose no real logistical problems as the NH coast is just 1 hour from Portland and Mount Washington is 2 hours away.  As far as the swimming, I hope to check off Maine at Acadia NP but if it’s too cold, I have other chances.  I’ll play it by ear depending on the weather forecast but Monday should be decidedly LESS crowded at the beach.  I’ll need to be in Portland on Sunday night for a Monday race at 6AM.  Average air temp is around 75F with a water temp of 65F.  If it’s sunny, that would make it more tolerable.  If I wear a long sleeve tech shirt for protection from cold, it still counts.    

Tuesday- A 6AM flight out of Portland is my only direct option. 

Coronavirus?
At some point, the panic needs to end.  I probably would not have done this between March and May but in late August, it’s time.  The survival rate is 99.5% and the race will have less than 100 participants spread out on the course.  I’m under 40 and still “paper healthy” so my risk is almost nil.  The only real risk of getting sick is if my airplane seat mate is a pre-symptomatic case.  Asymptomatic carriers are very rare. 

No comments: