Monday, July 20, 2020

Training 7/20-7/26

7/20- Seeing continued improvements with Glutathione.  Opener in 70, closer in 57.  The gap has been closed to 78 seconds/mile.  My best time on the half lap is 48 seconds so I am 9 away (54 per mile).  The goal is a sub-50 opener and sub-50 closer.

Real workout was better as well.  Repeated the Lakeshore 2.5 and my time is down to 20:34 (8:14 pace).  1st half- 10:29, 2nd half- 10:05.  Dipped below 8:00 pace on the last half mile.  That's down from 22:15 yesterday, which is a 40 second improvement per mile.
Distance=3.0

7/21- STUPID calls today.
AM- Tried to run without any pills and I was crap.  Lasted just 1.5 miles.  There is a big difference between being able to hold a respectable pace in a sprint versus a longer distance.

PM- As the gap with Glutathione diminishes, I thought I could handle a little probiotics.  Did not feel any immediate ill-effects but could not hack in a workout.  Too bad.  It was a rare overcast evening but I managed just 1 mile in 11:02.  I was 4:58 at the half then finished with a 6:04.  OUCH!  Confirmed that it was indeed probiotics when I got home.  I'll be crap tomorrow morning too but a bit less crap by the evening.  Most probably, it is NOT a reflex action that will trigger a need by tomorrow.  If that happens, I'll know it by the afternoon.
Distance=2.5

7/22- As expected, I was crap in the morning and less crappy by the afternoon with NO probiotics.  Did 1 mile in 8:50 on Montreat then hit the road.
Distance=1.0

7/23- Planned rest day.  Impromptu beach trip.

7/24-AM.  I was 70/57 4 days ago.  My splits are down to 60/52.  Working my way towards the goal of 50/48.

PM- CRAP again.  1 mile junk run untimed.  Too tired from the beach trip?  Surf was rough.
Distance=1.5

7/25- Crestline 1.5 in 15:39 (10:26 pace).  Total crap.  Slightly better on the back half but not significant.  Added some more junk later in the day.
Distance=3.0

7/26- Determined to finish a quarter marathon on Lakeshore and I did it in 75:03 (roughly 11:30 pace).  I bet I could have finished a half mary within the 3 hour time limit but it would have been close.  Only positive was that the back half was only slightly worse than the front half (36:50-38:03).  This time the culprit was a LACK of probiotics.  The need has kicked back in with a vengeance, which is no big surprise.  Only 5 days earlier, I could not tolerate it.  Good news is that WITH probiotics, Taurine and Glutathione are tolerated.  Neither were tolerated without probiotics.
Distance=7.0
-18 miles on the week (3 better than last week)

No comments: