Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Catch a Wave Challenge

 It's self explanatory.  The goal is to catch a wave in every state that has an ocean coastline.  I'm off to a good start so far and yes, this can be doable.  

I'm listing my favorite beach in every state, which is subject to change as I visit more of them.  If I've never caught a wave, it's listed as TBD with the planned stop in parenthesis.

Pacific Coast:

Only in So-Cal is it warm enough to swim without a wetsuit and even there, Santa Barbara is about the northern limit.  I'm shooting for San Diego here but would not mind a visit to an LA beach as well.  Just completed Hawaii.  Nor-Cal and points north will always require a wetsuit.  Alaska will be tough but if I'm one state away, I've got to do it.  I only need to be in the water for 1 hour.  

So-Cal- Pacific Beach San Diego

Nor-Cal- TBD (Crescent City)

Oregon- TBD (Newport)

Washington- TBD (Westport)

Hawaii- Kua Bay

Alaska- TBD (Kodiak is best bet)

Gulf Coast- Here, water temps will be comfortable from April through the end of November in most years.  Problem is that the surf can go flat especially in the summer.  I've managed to catch a wave in all 5 states.  I got lucky with the conditions in Louisiana but there was barely enough wave action to qualify in Mississippi.

South Florida- Clearwater

North Florida- Ft. Walton

Alabama- Orange Beach

Mississippi- Ship Island

Louisiana- Grand Isle

Texas- South Padre

Atlantic Coast- It's a good bet that you will find rideable waves any time of year.  Depending on the location, you could see all year round comfortable temps in South Florida to a narrow window in Maine.  Yes, water temps can crack 70 for a few weeks in August even in Maine so I plan to do it.

South Florida- Miami

North Florida- Daytona

Georgia- Tybee Island

South Carolina- Isle of Palms

North Carolina- Carolina Beach 

Virginia- Chincoteague Island

Maryland- Ocean City

Delaware- Bethany Beach

New Jersey- Wildwood

New York- Rockaway

Connecticut- Ocean Beach (never any waves due to Long Island Sound)

Rhode Island- Narragansett

Massachusetts- Horseneck Beach

New Hampshire- Hampton Beach

Maine- Ogunquit


No comments: