Monday, February 1, 2021

Training 2/1-2/7

 2/1- Vestavia 5K and my time is down to 25:13 (8:04 pace) plus a cool. Best time of the year.  Splits were 7:49-8:11-8:22-51.  Thought I had a shot at sub-25 (Mendoza line) through the first half but faded considerably after the first 6 laps.  This was an improvement of 65 seconds in the last 3 days.  I attribute it to correcting the dosage of the TRS/Lactoferrin combo.  I feel good about that.  I'll be noticeably weaker if I mess up the dose but it won't be a disaster unless I completely miss one or the other.  Soon, I want to see how I do if I load on both instead of low doses.   

Distance=3.5

2/2- AM.  Interval tests.  1 lap at standard effort without TRS or Lactoferrin.  Clocked a 2:38 (7:54 pace).  Not a significant drop off from yesterday in terms of how I felt but I don't think I could have matched the performance.  Probably around 26-flat give or take a few ticks.  With mega TRS and only 1 Lactoferrin pill, I slipped to 2:41 (8:03 pace).  Not a significant drop off and I think my effort was dialed back a hair as well.  Without any Lactoferrin at all, it would have been awful.  Moment of truth came when I loaded on Lactoferrin.  Clocked a 46.9 (4:41 pace) on a half lap running all out then cooled down.  At the same distance last Sunday, I could only muster a 50.1.  That's a 20 second improvement per mile.  I felt a difference as well.  I'm still sticking with the lower dose of both to save money.  I'll get the results that I want but it will take longer.  If I had clocked a sub-45 on the high dose, I'd reconsider.  I might load for one day if I have a race or time trial upcoming.   

PM- 4 miles on Lakeshore in 32:24 (8:06 pace).  Strong.  Definitely felt the benefits of increased TRS and Lactoferrin.  Passed 3 miles at almost exactly the same time as yesterday then had another good mile in me and was not spent at all.  I actually dialed back the effort a bit compared to yesterday.

Distance=5.0

2/3- Not as strong on the lower dose but this was still not bad.  2.5 on Lakeshore plus a cool.  Finished in 20:24 (8:10 pace) with splits of 10:07-10:17.  Probably would have been more like 8:20ish if I went 4 miles but I did scale back the effort a bit.  With the exception of my half lap sprint, all my runs have been the same pace give or take a few seconds.  That needs to change.  I expect my long run will be slow but that is by design.

Distance=3.0

2/4- 5 miles in 43:42 (8:44 pace).  Aimed for 8:30ish and came in a bit slow.  Not worried about it.  This was still over a minute better than last week.  Probably nothing more serious than accumulated fatigue from increased mileage.  I was on pace through the first half then Mile 3 and 4 were close to 9 minutes.  Rebounded in Mile 5 and could have gone longer.  Soon, it will remain daylight long enough to run on roads with traffic.  I'd like to add a bit of variety instead of staying on Lakeshore all the time.

Distance=5.0

2/5- Planned rest day.  On target in terms of mileage.

2/6- 8 miles in 70:02 (8:45 pace).  Well done.  Actually, it was a little better than I was expecting.  Passed 4 miles at 8:41 pace then hung on for an 8:49 on the back half.  Slacked a bit in Mile 5 and passed 10K in 54:37 for an improvement of 4:03 in the last 2 weeks.  Finished strong and actually increased the average pace in the last 1.8 miles.  Could have broken 70 if I really sprinted at the end.  I needed about a 9:45 pace for the next 5.1 to break 2 hours for a half mary.  I think I can do it and still have almost 2 months until race day, which as of now is still on.

Distance=8.0

2/7- NAKED.  3 mile Trak Shak loop.  Good to get out on the roads again.  Naked means no watch in case you didn't know.  Easy recovery effort but legs still had decent pop and I could have delivered a non-terrible performance today.  Still, it's a smart call to take it easy today because I'm going to front load next week.  I don't anticipate doing much running in Hawaii.

Distance=3.0

Best week of the year by far.  I feel good about my progress.

Distance= 27.5/ YTD= 95

No comments: