Tuesday, February 23, 2021

USA Travel Bucket List Revisited

 #1-The next trip is Delmarva there is no need to rehash the plan.  In short, it's Philadelphia down to the southern tip of Eastern Shore Virginia with a race in Salisbury, Maryland.  Number 47.

#2- North Dakota.  I've only been to Fargo and this one really would not be on my bucket list if I didn't need Minnesota as a half marathon state.  I hope to find a race in the western part of the state that is closer to Fargo than Minneapolis.  Government Bay and Theodore Roosevelt NP are both on my want to see.  This would be state #48.  I'd like to go to Manitoba and Saskatchewan on this trip but the border is closed.  Just to finish the challenge, I'd be willing to do just about any Minnesota race that is in person.  

#3- Maine/New Hampshire- I've been to each multiple times but I need Maine as a race state.  The time to go is August or early September.  Water temps should be in the upper 60s-low 70s so yes, I can swim without a wetsuit.  I also want to see Mt. Washington, one of the highest peaks in the east.  Again, late summer is the best chance to see it safely.  There are quite a few race options.   

That takes care of the race states, except for Hawaii.  Here are some other trip ideas:

Outer Banks, North Carolina- beach hopping trip from Wilmington up to Virginia Beach.  There's a good chance that I can swing this in early summer.  I have been to the Wilmington area as an adult but never the Outer Banks and not VA Beach since I was a small child.

Pacific Northwest- Again, I was there fairly recently (2018) but have some unfinished business. Now that I have a thin wetsuit, I should be able to tolerate the water there for at least an hour to complete my other challenge.  I could check off Washington, Oregon and California on the same trip.  The Oregon coast is especially beautiful.  I can also see the full Mt. Rainier NP and Redwoods NP on the same trip.  Again, late summer is the best time of the year so I can't do this one plus Maine/New Hampshire in the same year.  

Jersey Shore- I need New York and New Jersey for the Catch a Wave Challenge.  I would opt for Wildwood, New Jersey then drive up the coast to Rockaway in New York.  Perhaps I can see a Yankee game if fans are allowed.  Mid-late summer is the time to go.  I would have to choose between this trip and North Carolina.  

California (2)- One big trip or 2 small ones.  The latter is more my style.

Pacific Coast Hwy and Palm Springs to Lake Tahoe.  The first trip is probably best in late Spring-early summer.  Obviously, late winter is best for the latter.

Idaho- I've only seen the panhandle here.  I've thoroughly explored southern Utah but haven't even touched points north of Salt Lake City.  Idaho looks awesome from YouTube, especially the Sawtooth Hwy.

I have a few others but they would require a border crossing into Mexico so I'll leave those out for now.  Plenty left to explore in the USA even though I've visited all 50 states.

No comments: