Monday, April 19, 2021

Training 4/19-4/25

 4/19- 4 miles on Lakeshore in 33:55 (8:29 pace).  Solid performance.  Took all the pills that I needed including CBS and MF/TMG.  No sudden miracle but I did feel a bit of a boost.  I maintained the same pace as last Friday and doubled the distance.  Felt pretty decent in doing so as well.  1st half- 17:10, 2nd half-16:45 so that's a pretty significant negative split.  

Distance=4.0

4/20- Repeated the 4 mile distance this time on North Lakeshore.  Time has improved to 32:33 (8:08 pace) on the same formula.  This time, I got out faster but struggled a little bit down the stretch.  1st half- 16:04, 2nd half- 16:29.  The back half of this route is slightly uphill so that's still not bad.  I think I'm right on the edge of a sub-25 5K and I will try soon.  Added a short warm and cool.

Distance= 4.5

4/21- AM.  Another very positive step.  Expected a group at North Lakeshore but no such luck.  Did a 2.5 mile tempo in 19:07 (7:39 pace) with a slight negative split.  (7:41-7:39-3:47).  No doubt this was worth a sub-25 5K.  It's probably closer to 24.  Sub-21:45 (7:00 pace) is considered respectable now post-40 so I've still got a ways to go.  Took 1 Thym-Adren pill and it does NOT appear that I have collapsed.  I'll be back out for a short run this evening.

PM- 1.5 miles at Veteran's Park in 11:48 (7:52 pace).  I should clarify that I took the Thym-Adren AFTER the morning run, not before.  I just wanted a quick test in hopes that I would be a little slower but not horrible.  That's EXACTLY what I got.  Once again, the pace was even.  I thought I would fade about a half mile in but it didn't happen.  Yes, I was slightly weakened but it was not severe.  EXCELLENT NEWS!  Probably slightly over 8 minute pace if I went another mile so that's bordering on significant BUT NOT A COLLAPSE!  Now, if I took mega doses for several days in the absence of an adrenal spike?  Yes, I can expect big problems.  However, as I repeated ad nauseum for several years, a SINGLE DOSE OF A PILL that is wrong for my chemistry?  A session like this is just about what should happen.  I'm still pitching this bottle with hopes that I'll never have to order it again.  

Distance=4.5

4/22- Planned rest day.  I have only one more test to pass and that is the pill free weekend.  I'll hold off on that until next weekend.  At the rate that I am gaining, I don't want a temporary setback even if I will rebound quickly. 

PM- I took a couple NADH and CoQ10 last night just to get rid of it.  I woke up feeling a little bit off today.  Turns out the CoQ10 is probably okay but the NADH is not.  The confirmation dose made things worse, which is to be expected.  This is unfortunate but not fatal.  Just like Thym-Adren, an occasional dose will be tolerated but it is NOT to be taken every day or in large doses even once.  I have pitched the NADH along with the Thym-Adren.  I'll finish the CoQ10 bottle but will not re-order.  I must say that it makes me feel uneasy that just a few months ago, NADH was a required pill.  If this happens with any of my current required pills, I'm afraid it's over.  

Decided to do a junk run at Montreat.  Came through the first lap in 2:36 (7:48 pace) but it was not sustainable and I just slow jogged the next 2 untimed.  I've had reactions a lot more severe than this so I hope it's just a 1 day blip.

Distance=1.0   

4/23- Still felt a little bit off when I woke up but able to perform.  3 miles in 24:14 (8:05 pace).  Even pace but legs felt very heavy towards the end so I probably still struggle to finish a long run.  I've cheated on caffeine the last 2 days due to the blip.  I plan to get back on track tomorrow.  Again, I should be okay as long as I don't make a habit of it.   

Distance=3.0

4/24- Planned rest day due to predicted bad weather.  I need 8 tomorrow and hope to get it done on the coast.

4/25- Gulf Shores.  8 miles in 71:36 (8:57 pace).  I have mixed feelings about this one.  I hit the goal pace but faded in the back half.  1st half- 34:56, 2nd half- 36:40.  To my credit, the pace never went above 9:20.  Still, the race is 5.1 miles longer.  I would have needed about a 9:25ish for the remainder to get under 2 hours and it's close but I don't think I could have made it.  Still, I would have been considerably better than I was in Salisbury.  There could be tiny adjustments ahead.

Distance=8.0

-25 miles on the week.

No comments: