Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Delmarva Trip Report

 I asked a few people in Alabama if they had ever heard of Delmarva.  Only one person did.  It is a peninsula east of the Chesapeake Bay that is spilt between the states of Delaware, Maryland and Virginia.  To access it, you can either drive south from Philadelphia or cross the Bay Bridge after a flight from DC or Baltimore.  Since I have a friend in Philly that I wanted to meet, I chose the former option.  

3/31-

I hate airport layovers.  Birmingham used to have a direct flight to Philly but not anymore.  In order to reach pretty much anywhere in the East, you have to connect in Charlotte or Atlanta.  Lately, I often drive 2.5 hours to Atlanta for a direct flight but today I chose to connect in Charlotte.  Bad call.  The flight was delayed, and I just missed the connection to Philly.  I ended up with a 6 hour layover in Charlotte and did not get to my hotel in Philly until 1 AM.  Ouch!







4/1-

I did stay in a nice hotel within walking distance of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell.  I arrived at 9AM and got in line to see the Liberty Bell and got a good shot of the bell and Independence Hall.  I had to wear a mask to take a selfie next to the Liberty Bell because of COVID.  What the _____!  When I got in line for Independence Hall, I learned that it would be a 2-3 hour wait for a 20-minute tour.  After some deliberation, I decided to pass.  It was probably a good call.  If I had waited, it would have been dark by the time I got to the southern tip of Virginia and I would have missed a beautiful sunset over the bay.   I struck up a conversation with an older woman in Philly and we ended up eating lunch together.   Dinner was seafood in Cape Charles, Virginia where I met 2 other rather interesting characters. 




4/2-

Headed north towards Salisbury, Maryland with a stop in Chincoteague, Virginia.  I did see a couple Windmill Palms there.  As expected, both the air and water were MUCH too cold for a swim.  I did do a junk run on a nature trail and found that I felt best on 2 Thym-Adren pills, held it together on 2.5 but dropped off sharply on 3.  I decided that I would go with 2 on race morning and let the chips fall where they may.  I was in Salisbury by noon and took another junk run around City Park.  I had not been here in almost 20 years, so it looked much different and I recognized very little.  From Salisbury, I took about a 40-minute drive southwest down to Crisfield for another beautiful sunset over the bay. 





4/3-

Race day.  It was clear early that 2 pills were just a bit much.  I probably would have had a significantly better result on 1.5 or even 1.  Nevertheless, I was pleased by how I ran the first half.  Each of the first 8 miles were between 9:02-9:16.  Since 9:09 is 2-hour pace, I was right on schedule give or take a few seconds up until 5 miles to go.  You can probably guess the rest.  Mile 9-10 were a struggle, but the collapse did not hit all at once.  It did not become REAL UGLY until Mile 11-12 then I found a slight resurgence at the end for a 2:08 finish (9:50 pace).  Not my worst showing and just about what I expected given how badly my training had been.  After the finish, another half pill confirmed my suspicion.  I was much worse immediately and therefore would have done better on a lower dose.  Again, the cocktail that worked the previous day didn’t work as well when it mattered most.  







For the aftermath, I drove to Ocean City for lunch and a walk on the boardwalk then up the Delaware coast to Dewey Beach.  The latter is much quieter, but the beach is just as nice.  Again, it was MUCH too cold for a dip.  I continued north towards Philadelphia but spent the night in Delaware after a stop in Dover to see the Capitol area. 


4/4-

Easter Sunday.  I attended church with my friend Christina.  I found her to be very nice even though we didn’t get to talk very much.  I would have liked to have gone to lunch but had to catch the flight home.  This one went without a hitch and I was glad that I did not have to drive another 2.5 hours.  47 states are now in the books.  Minnesota will be next, but it may not be until July. 

No comments: