Friday, May 21, 2021

Manganese Deficiency

 Even if the pills are in relative balance as was the case in Minnesota, I will still do poorly.  I've felt like I was in a funk even on my "good days."  Thus far this year, I have yet to break 7:00 in a Mile and though I did do 2.5 @7:39, I have not broken 8:00 pace for 3 miles.  Also, I've yet to hold a sub-9 pace for longer than 8 miles.  Even with only 20 MPW and being 40 years of age, I should do better than this.  I figured that there was a missing piece and mentioned it on the blog.  When it came to the CBS pills, I felt a sudden need for an increased dose.  Then, after maybe 3 days on a higher dose, I flipped flopped then flip flopped again after I went back to the lower dose  WHAT THE _____!  Fortunately, it appears that if I stay off the protein bars and limit methyl donors, I should stabilize at 1 such pill.  The 2:05 in Minnesota was probably the best I could have done with the current cocktail.  It was a full 25 seconds per mile short of 2 hour pace so I did not even come close.  Even on a dead flat or gently rolling course like Salisbury, I'm probably no better than 2:02-2:03.  

How did I figure that it was Manganese?  Symptoms of a deficiency can mimic slow oxidation even if you are a fast oxidizer as I'm sure that I still am.  That being the case, an adrenal suppressant such as Thym-Adren should HELP NOT HURT!  Only recently did I get to the point in which I can tolerate a single dose occasionally.  It would still be extremely ugly if I took even one of those pills every day.  That should not happen.  Symptoms of manganese deficiency do include joint and muscle problems so I have little doubt that it was slowing me down and has likely been present for at least a couple of years.  

What happened after I took it?

The usual.  While the Molybdenum (another pill that I thought might help) yielded no positive or negative effects, the reaction to Manganese was swift and strong.  After a mild positive early response in the first few minutes, WHAM, the soreness hit like a truck within about an hour or two.  However, the next morning, I had an insatiable NEED.  This need, like all the others will eventually diminish and though it will take time, it will get to a point in which I can get by if I miss an occasional dose.  

Part of my cocktail going forward?

I don't know what could happen.  Within a few months, I could get a negative response to it.  Also, it could become ineffective.  Also, it could remain necessary but no longer the extreme dependence that I have now.  Only time will tell.   

Caffeine:

I was decidedly worse today after consumption of about 100 mg.  This time, CBS/NOS did nothing to help and neither did extra Manganese.  It's hard.  I know that it is bad for me but I really had to use it to get through the week at work.  Though I was not the lead person in phone duty, I did have to take some calls and also had to finish up a big report.  Caffeine provided enough of a boost on Tuesday-Thursday to keep me functional.  Now, I am prepared to face a tough withdrawal this weekend.

Smoking:

A bit off topic and for the record, NO I've never tried it.  Man, I'm so glad for that because I know that I'd find it nearly impossible to quit with all the ill-effects from the pills or lack thereof.  I've also learned that I do have the gene that makes you more vulnerable to addiction.  A college acquaintance could go through a half pack when she was out drinking, which was almost every weekend but in 4 years,  I never saw her light up on campus during the week.  She's one of the lucky ones.  I've become less judgmental about others doing it.  Some of the nicest people that I've met are cigarette smokers but it still makes my heart sink when I see people that I care about doing that to themselves.  Most say they want to quit but never do.  If I can't quit caffeine, nicotine would be so much harder.  I'm glad that vaping is an option now.  Though I'm not sold on the safety, it can't be worse than tobacco cigarettes.

No comments: