Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Protein Bars and CBS Mutation

 Nothing surprises me anymore but yesterday, I flip flopped from extreme DEPENDENCE on CBS/NOS pills to extreme INTOLERANCE in a matter of a few hours.  That's right.  I had been taking 3 such pills every day since the collapse last weekend.  Yesterday morning, I took only 2 and improved from a 7:45 pace to a 6:51.  It was a positive step and indicative of less dependence.  I figured that if I continued doing everything right by limiting caffeine and methyl donors, it would soon become like the other pills again.  It still needs to be part of my cocktail albeit at the higher dose but if I miss a couple days every now and then, it won't hurt me.  As I've said many times, I can live with that scenario.  My demands are NOT unreasonable.  

Still, something felt a little off.  On both intervals, I faded on the back half.  That's not a good sign especially on a short interval.  I took a 3rd pill and didn't feel any immediate effects, good or bad so I went to the office feeling okay.  However, this along with a few other unrelated issues were weighing on my mind.  About an hour before lunchtime, WHAM it hit me.  The body tightened up and the energy crashed.  The toe touch test failed as I could only reach the midpoint between my knee and ankle.  Running was out of the question.  I would have seen a 10 minute pace, maybe even 12 and have to quit at 1-2 miles.  The only good news on the day was that I got the negative COVID test and was able to print the hard copy so there ought to be no SNAFU in Minnesota.  If I am to go to the Jersey Shore this summer, I don't mind taking this test.  I was able to get it done on my lunch hour at work. 

I had a strong feeling that it was indeed excess CBS pills.  I drank a normally ill-advised Red Bull and this time, I actually felt BETTER after drinking it.  When I got home, I took another half of a CBS pill just as a confirmation dose.  WHAM!  An IMMEDIATE NEGATIVE REACTION!  I then took CoQ10 and Glutathione and once again, I got noticeably better.  Still in no condition to run but definitely better as confirmed by the toe touch test.  

What was the cause of this flip flop?

I believe it is because I eliminated my daily protein bar in the morning.  I know that is bad for CBS issues and had trouble with it in the past but thought it was behind me after the TRS.  Most probably, I never needed to limit methylation and caffeine was not the problem either.  If I had simply not eaten protein bars in the morning, I probably NEVER would have reacted to CoQ10 or the caffeine or the methyl folate!!

Reaction:

Oh man, my head is a mess now.  The fact that it was as simple as cutting out the protein makes me feel a little better.  Increasing the dose of CBS/NOS is NOT necessary after all.  I don't have to limit the methylation and while caffeine is not good for me, it will not trigger a massive reaction.  Still, it makes me feel VERY uneasy that the overdose caused such a big problem.  What happens if I can't remember whether or not I took it earlier and take a 2nd dose by mistake, which is easy to do?  Probably nothing IF I only do it once.  3 consecutive overdoses?  That's another matter and understandable that it causes a problem.  I still don't like it.  If I overdose on most of my other pills, it doesn't hurt me.  This one does.  That said, if I took mega doses of MF for several days, I would not be surprised if I eventually need more CBS/NOS.  It's a delicate balance.  ALL I WANT IS STABILITY!  Can I get this leveled up by Saturday so I can at least finish the race?  I think so but it's not guaranteed.  I'm staying off the protein bars and will take 1 day off the CBS/NOS pills then go back to just 1 per day thereafter.  If I have a reaction, caffeine and protein may actually mitigate the ill-effects.  WHAT THE ______!  Can I eat an occasional protein bar?  Yes.  Every once in a while won't hurt me.  Just don't make a habit of it.  

No comments: