Monday, May 3, 2021

Training 5/3-5/9

 5/3- MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!  3 miles in 25:48 (8:36 pace).  Splits were 8:45-8:35-8:28.  This was done on Day 3 WITHOUT ANY PILLS AT ALL in spite of cheating a bit this weekend!  Still, I could feel the seams holding me together beginning to come loose.  Within 24-48 hours, it probably all comes unglued on this path.  Thankfully, that won't happen because I'm taking the pills starting today.  

Distance=3.0

REACTION:

This is a BIG VICTORY!  Sure, the time is nothing to celebrate but as of today, I NO LONGER HAVE EXTREME DEPENDENCE ON ANY ONE PILL!   That means if I take a long weekend and forget to pack one of my pills, I will NOT melt down before the end of the trip.  I'm not quite on solid ground yet.  I still have to maintain this for at least a month.  There is still a chance that my formula could have to be altered.  It could be a missing piece or a sudden negative reaction to one of my current key pills.

5/4- Planned rest day due to predicted bad weather.  

5/5- Bad day.  I hope that it was simply too much cheating.  It was 3 consecutive days.  2 days to get through the CoQ10 collapse and the 3rd was to celebrate the successful pill free weekend.   The 2nd day clean is usually the hardest.  4 miles in 38:36 (9:39 pace).  Very poor performance but not quite a collapse.  Trak Shak loop.  Should be better tomorrow.  If not, I'm afraid that there is a missing piece and this is not over.  I'm only 10 days out from race day so it's too late to make any big changes.

Distance=4.0

5/6- 4 miles this time at Lakeshore.  Improved to 34:32 (8:38 pace).  MINUS 61 so that is a significant improvement.  Perhaps all I need to do is limit the cheat days.  2 non-consecutive days per week ought to be manageable.  Though the times were similar to last week, today had a different feel.  I felt more over-stimulated whereas I was rather lethargic on CoQ10 before the collapse.  Added a half mile cool.

Distance=4.5

5/7- 2.5 mile quickie on Lakeshore in the morning.  Finished in 20:10 (8:04 pace).  Just a hair short of my target but I'll take it.  After a slow start, I rallied in the back half and posted a sub-8 in the last 1.5 miles.  Still a bit overstimulated but this was noticeably better than yesterday.

Distance=2.5

5/8- FAIL!  Came through 1 mile in just about 10 minutes then turned around.  Had to walk/jog the back half.  Sulfur was the culprit. A separate post is required.

Distance=2.0

5/9- Lakeshore 4 in 39:40 (9:55 pace).  An improvement but I was hoping for better.  Took 3 CBS/NOS pills and no MF.  I did have a strong negative split (20:25-19:15), which is usually a sign of improvement.  In the aftermath, the MF still triggered a bit of a reaction but it was not as severe as yesterday.  Still not sure what to do about that on race morning but leaning towards not taking it.  Extra CBS/NOS did NOT hurt me, which is a good thing.

PM- Encouraged that I did not collapse after taking MF, I went out to Veteran's Park for 2 more miles and clocked a surprising 17:06 (8:33 pace) with splits of 8:45-8:21.  If I simply up the CBS/NOS and  limit caffeine, I believe I'll be okay.  I may also benefit from extra Probiotics, cutting out protein bars and cutting the Curcumin.  The cocktail will remain manageable.

Distance=6.0

-22 miles on the week.  YTD-315.

It's a hollow victory but I've managed to hit 20 almost every week.

No comments: