Monday, May 10, 2021

Training 5/10-5/16- Race Week

 5/10- AM- 2x1 mile on Lakeshore.  I did a 9:05 without the CBS/NOS and a 7:39 with it (3 pills).  MINUS 86 compared to MINUS 3 minutes 2 days ago.   Extreme dependence is starting to fade and soon, it will be like the other pills.  I can get by without it for 3-5 days before a meltdown.  Just what I want to see.  Effort was tempo level on the back half.

PM- Junk run at Veteran's Park with many stops.  I was really just playing around.  I don't know the exact distance because it was partly through the woods but a lap around the lake in 5:10 (7:35 pace) felt pretty smooth.  Overall, I ran for just about 20 minutes so I'll call it 2.5 miles.

Distance=4.5

5/11- AM- The plot has thickened again.  I needed extra sleep last night, which usually is not a good sign.  I only had time for Montreat.  Did the first lap in 2:35 (7:45 pace) without any pills then improved to 2:17 (6:51 pace) with pills.  Now, I am within 1 minute per mile so there is no longer extreme dependence.  Still, something felt a little bit off.  By lunchtime, I was AWFUL and the culprit was TOO MUCH CBS.  That's right, my system flip flopped literally within just a few hours.  Now, forbidden sulfurs and caffeine actually made me feel BETTER.  This warrants a separate post.  I did get the negative COVID test so Minnesota is a GO.  Can I level up by then?  I doubt it.

Distance=1.0

5/12- Montreat Mile in 9:39.  Splits were 4:42-4:57.  Only good news is that I didn't feel significantly worse after half a CBS pill afterwards.

Distance=1.0

5/13- Junk run in Atlanta.  1 mile in 8:00 give or take a few seconds.  A tunnel messed with the GPS signal.  I was 4:08 at the half then finished with a 3:52 after taking a CBS pill.  That's a bit more of a gap than I would have liked to see but the back half was downhill so it's difficult to assess.

Distance=1.0

5/14- Another junk run this time near the hotel in Duluth.  Not even sure of the exact distance but I can tell that the need for CBS has INCREASED!  WHAT THE _____!

Distance=1.0

5/15- Race day.  Pike Lake half marathon in 2:05:17 (9:34 pace).  Just like usual, I ran the first half quite well but the wheels came off all of a sudden.  I took a 3rd CBS pill at Mile 10 and didn't feel much difference one way or the other.  Interesting.  Jogged another mile on a hiking trail in the evening.  This is a post-40 PR.

Distance=14.5

5/16- Planned rest day.  Drove back to Minneapolis then flew to Atlanta.

-23 miles on the week.  YTD- 340

No comments: