Monday, March 11, 2013

Training 3/11-3/17

3/11- Depressing rainy day.  I took off work this morning because I had to go see the "denty".  Fortunately, it was just a cavity.  Stayed inside for a standard issue 6 miler in 44:35 (7:26 pace).  Solid performance for an easy day but I'm sure that a quality session would not have been pretty.  Slight fade but that was partially by design (22:10/22:25).  This was not a tempo effort but I am still stiffer than I should be.  No medical report today but I expect to get it tomorrow.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=6.0

3/12- AM- Vestavia Mile in 5:55.05 (best time of the year).  Being 40 seconds shy of the goal is no cause for celebration but nevertheless, I am on the board with my first sub-6 Mile of 2013.  I broke the barrier for the first time way back in 1994 (age 13) and have since recorded at least 1 sub-6 every year except 2006 when I was Stage 3 adrenal fatigue.  This was not the goal workout for the day and was actually not as bad as it appears on the surface.  First, I was untapered.  Second, it was 36 degrees and I barely even warmed up due to time constraints.  Very even splits as well (87-90-91-87).

PM- 8x200 at Heardmont.  Too loose.  I did not time the first 7 but I'm sure that it was not pretty.  No power at all.  Then somehow, I found my top gear on #8 and passed up Dewayne who was running a tempo.  Finished #8 in 29.5 self-timed.  Fairly clean diet today.  Only questionable choice was OJ.  No medical report in the mail.  It must not have been mailed until Monday.  I will call them if it does not arrive tomorrow.
Grade:C-/2 credits/distance=4.0

3/13- Popped some magnesium at lunch and felt a difference almost immediately and it showed in the workout.  Breezed through the Trak Shak 7 in 50:15 (7:11 pace) and actually eased off at the end.  Felt much more like the Crazy J of old.
Grade:A/1 credit/distance=7.0

3/14- Great tempo.  5 miles in 31:41 (6:20 pace).  I believe that I would have had a shot at sub-40 for 10K but I had to leave early.  Believe it or not, I was not quite 100% today.  I still need to tweak the magnesium.  After the workout, I went bowling with Chilton and saw stars a few times because I was light-headed.  That usually suggests a calcium deficit.  Splits were 6:11-6:24-6:28-6:27-6:11. Yes, I did go all out at the end but in the mid-section, I was not giving race effort.  I will likely rest tomorrow then try a 15ish long run on Saturday.  Looking good for a win this week.
Grade:A/2 credits/distance=5.0

3/15- I feel good enough to run well today but I'm taking the planned rest.  I may not get another chance at a good long run before my 5K in 2 weeks.

3/16- 7.5 at Oak Mountain in 55:40 (7:25 pace) plus a cool.  Faded badly after Mile 4.5 but that was partially due to the heat.  It was pushing 75 with high noon sun when I finished and I didn't drink.  Slept in on purpose because I planned on going long tomorrow instead.  I think I took a bit too much magnesium too.  The ratio should be 1:1. I need at least a "B minus" tomorrow for a win on the week.
Grade:B+/1 credit/distance=8.0

3/17- Struggled most of the run and again slept for 10+ hours but I get the win only because I was able to endure it for 13 tough miles in a moving time of 1:38:53 (7:36 pace). 7-4 looks much better than 6-5.  Route was Trak Shak 9 starting at Brookwood O'Henry's then added 4 extra on Lakeshore.  12 of 13 were sub-8 and the only exception was an uphill mile.  Average workout.
Grade:B-/2 credits/distance=13.0

Weekly summary:
Showed flashes of excellence on Wednesday and Thursday but was shaky outside of that.  My body is still adjusting to the added magnesium and I may need to reduce the Thym-Adren, which is not a surprise given the results of the medical report.  I've got 2 weeks to set this straight before Rumpshaker and then I've got St. Louis the following week for fun.
Distance=43.0/ GPA= 27.4/9= 3.04
YTD: 426 miles/ Record: 7-4. Cum. GPA= 31.38/11= 2.85

No comments: